Conversion Imatch 3.60 to Imatch 2019 possible?

Started by falconeye, January 04, 2020, 07:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconeye

Hello,

I have a rather old IMatch 3.60 database with about 30000 photos on my Laptop with WinXp  ;D
Is it possible to switch the database and the photos to a PC with Win 10 and Imatch 2019. I have installed the Demoversion
already on the new computer but have no idea how to start first. Perhaps someone has a tip for me.

Thank you and greetings from Bavaria.

Mario

IMatch 3.x is 10 years out of date. No support is available anymore for this legacy product.

IMatch included database converters for the ancient 3.x database format in versions 5, 5.5, 2017 and 2018.
Up to the point when I switched IMatch to 64-bit only about 2 years ago.
So much has changed since version 3 and the 3rd party components used in the database converter are no longer available.

I recommend you start with a fresh IMatch 2019 database.
Just add the same files you have in your IMatch 3 database. IMatch automatically picks up all metadata in your files.
A lot has changed in metadata formats and handling since IMatch 3 was current.

If required, you can manually export your categories in IMatch 3 and then import them into your IMatch 2019 database.
There is an archived article here:

https://www.photools.com/2928/upgrading-to-imatch-5/

See section 4.1 on that page.
In a similar way you can export/import properties, if you have used those (Title and Description under the thumbnail window in IMatch 3).

There once was a "For IMatch 3 users" help topic in the IMatch help. This has been removed a couple of years ago.
To get up to speed with IMatch 2019, I recommend watching the free video tutorials in the IMatch Learning Center and to use the awesome IMatch help system a lot. Just press <F1> anywhere in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

falconeye

Thank you Mario for your quick reply. It seems I can at least Import my categories
in IM 2019. And then the childs must do the rest of the work. ;D
I have already watched some of the Video tutorials in the learning Center. Really unbelievable how
IM has developed the last ten years. For me it feels more like thirty years ;)

Mario

The general working principles have not changed that much.
IMatch has just shaped the way users want it and use it. That's how I design and develop it. From user input.

And, since IMatch 2019 (and soon 2020) is used by so many different users in over 70 countries now, it's 'more' than IMatch 3.x.
But every user uses what he/she needs. Most people use maybe 50% of IMatch's feature set. But different 50% ...  ;D

From the experience during the 'big' switch from IMatch 3.x to IMatch 5 with the totally new user interface (many years ago) I know that most users adapt well in a day or two.
The videos and the IMatch help system should get you going in now time. For all else, just post here and the user community and I will help you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook