Using more than one database?

Started by heicron, January 04, 2020, 07:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heicron

I would like to know how users handle more than one database with IMatch.

Do you use the same user name, settings, etc?
I have been using IMatch since my first digital camera in 2003, Nikon Coolpix-5700 and now a D90.
My folder hierarchy is by date. Year/month/day. Over the years I have created a new db to keep my folder view a reasonable length in the window and also to readjust categories, keywords, etc. as I learned more about IMatch and the changes and improvements of the new versions. Over the years I had no consistency and totally messed up categories and key wording. Last year I started a new db in anticipation of IM-2020.
Once I get my current db converted to IM-2020 I would like try to reorganize the older db's  and be able to get to my older images without going to another computer as I do now. I have a home network with several devices and just recently installed IMA for easier access. I use my images for the web and personal printing.
My db is only image files in nef format and some early jpg. I am more aware now of how the settings file works with the db. I make backups and I keep another copy of the folder structure and images after indexing in IM on another drive and imported into Lightroom 6 which is what I use for processing and printing.
Thanks for your input

Mario

Why do you want more than one IMatch database?
IMatch databases easily handle several hundred thousand assents, so there is rarely a need.

Splitting your collection into more than one database creates a lot of extra work. From keeping settings and categories consistent, not double-managing files, metadata consistency, creating and managing backup etc.

I don't recommend using more than one database. Maybe a small database for testing things safely.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

heicron

What I should do then is gradually back fill the current db with the old files.

If I understand correctly, the category assignments from the old db would not be copied over with the files but the keywords and metadata will?
If that's the case then it would be ok since they must be reassigned anyway because they are messed up anyway.

Thanks Mario

Mario

Categories are stored in the IMatch database. You can export them and import them into IMatch 2019.
If you add files later, just re-import your IMatch 3.x categories so IMatch 2019 can assign the newly added files. No harm with that.
Metadata contained in the images will be imported by IMatch 2019 automatically.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

heicron

I'll copy my files to my testing PC and see how things work out. It's old and slow but it works fine with Win-10 but it won't handle IM 2020.

Thanks Mario and have a Happy New Year and with continued success with IMatch.