Decouple version stacking from "flat" stack of file collapsing/expanding

Started by iBaloo42, December 27, 2019, 04:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBaloo42

If I have the top of a flat stack (stack of unrelated files) the master of a relationship chain, if I collapse the stack, all the hierarchical children of the top-stack file are being collapsed as well. This is an undesirable behavior for me. Is there a way to break this behavior?

Let me explain my workflow.

When I'm taking bracketing or multiple shots of a subject, which are considered to be a processing stack, I am grouping them as a stack in iMatch.

Usually, I'm processing the stack using Aurora HDR, create a TIF file, add it to the stack, and make the TIF file the top of the stack. I want to retain the stack together and hide it behind the TIF file.

The TIF file is now becoming the "RAW" file that I'm using for further processing in Affinity, creating all sorts of files of different formats, mainly JPEGs. The TIF file is becoming for me the top of my hierarchical files that I'm creating based on the given stack of photos.

When browsing the files in iMatch, I want to see distinctively:

• The TIF file that represents the original stack
    The Affinity file(s) that I'm using for processing
    The JPEG files that I'm creating towards all sorts of targets with different requirements (competitions, posting on the internet, etc.)

Is there a way to do this?

Mario

I'm not sure that I can follow...
For me this sounds as if you're nesting multiple stacks?

Each top/master will hide the stacked elements it knows about. There is no special case or option which excludes stacked elements just because they are part of another stack. If this is what you're asking for.

Nesting stacks is not something many users do. Mixing regular stacks with version stacks can be done, but it complicates things and is usually not worth it.

Maybe consider sub-folders for each bracketing sequence. This groups the files and also forms a form of stack automatically.
And then a version stack for the TIFF, which links it to the bracket shots in the sub-folder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

iBaloo42

Considering sub-folders for stacking series of files is a big no-no for me. That is one of the reasons I bought iMatch, to avoid the antiquated method of organizing/categorizing my photos using folders...

In my opinion, without implementing the working scenario that I've explained, the iMatch's take on stacking as support for bracketing is unfinished...

If you want, we can do a 10 min session over Skype to show you what I mean from an workflow standpoint.

Mario

Version stacks and regular stacks work this way since IMatch 5, many years ago.
Many users use them every day, including myself.
I don't see a need for complicating things further in order to support particular workflows.
Nested stacks and mixed masters are supported already.

But as always, I might be wrong.

Feel free to add a feature request in the  feature request board. This way other users can see and discuss your workflow idea and comment on it. If there is sufficient interest, I will look into this more closely.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook