Buddy files Enhancements

Started by iBaloo42, January 06, 2020, 05:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBaloo42

I'm using Qimage for printing. Qimage is creating "associative filter" files, using the FLT extension, which I configured to be buddy files in iMatch. This part is working perfectly!

However, when I'm browsing iMatch, I would like to see the following:
1. A visual marker that a given photo has a QImage print configuration. Generalizing, an indication that a file has a certain buddy file associated with it. As a solution, this could be one of the Thumbnail Layout fields, which would require to allow us to set a buddy file as "visible as flag".
2. A special collection or the ability to create a category to intercept the photos that have a QImage "associative filter" buddy file. Again, this could also be generalized for any type of buddy files.
3. Even more, the "Open With" could allow us to open with QImage if a "associative filter" is buddy-friended with a given photo, without using the Window's Open With dialog. However, this requirement is a way less important than the previous two.

Mario

1.  You can use a variable to determine if a file has (one or more) buddy files. And then display a Q or maybe even an icon inside your File Window panels.

For example {File.BuddyFiles|hasvalue:QImage} displays "QImage" when the file has buddy files.
If you mix FLT and other buddy files, you can use the contains function instead to check for the .FLT extension.
Try it out in the Var Toy app.

Use this with a custom template in a File Window layout. Use the Custom Icons in the File Window article from the IMatch knowledge base for inspiration. See also Tune Your File Window Layouts and Fun With Custom File Window Layouts.

2.  Easy. Setup a a data-driven category based on the buddy files variable (see above).
For example, use {File.BuddyFiles|contains:.flt,FLT} as the expression. This produces a sub-category FLT with all files having a FLT buddy file. And "Other" if you enable other.
See Data-driven Categories for more information.

3. That's something that better fits into a dedicated app. I doubt that the majority of IMatch users has a use for this.
If I'm wrong, let me know below in your comments.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook