Make Imatch Viewer or Slideshow default W10 program for viewing images

Started by jarraun, January 27, 2020, 09:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarraun

Hello,

I really hate the awnful W10 Image Viewer, could it be possible to Make Imatch Viewer or Slideshow default W10 program for viewing images without opening the database. Any idea there ? ::)

Cheers
Javier

Mario

No, this cannot work.

IMatch needs to open the database to know about the files, to access cache images etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of standalone image viewers / slide show applications for Windows 10 around to choose from.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

I use the free FastStone Image Viewer as my default Windows viewer.  I also use it to import all of my photos from my cameras and memory cards.

It's an excellent program, I highly recommend it.

Jingo

Quote from: JohnZeman on January 28, 2020, 03:51:31 AM
I use the free FastStone Image Viewer as my default Windows viewer.  I also use it to import all of my photos from my cameras and memory cards.

It's an excellent program, I highly recommend it.

+1 for FastStone.. I used Irfanview for about 17 years... until I discovered Faststone... now, it is installed on all my machines.  Just an amazing program... fast and lightweight. 

mastodon

I am wondering, wich software to use for culling, viewing. I have used IrfanView ever, best would be do it in IMatch. I found some really good softwares for viewing, but wich one for culling.
Faststone
FastPictureViewer Pro
FastRawViewer
and Pixort, that I found really good for comparing images.
Does any of the screws up metadata?

jarraun

Thank you all for your suggestions, I think all the features or these programs can be accomplished with the programas I already have.

I was refering to a simple image viewer like Widows 7 Photo viewer was, I know it is possible to have it back modifiying my Windows  registry but I don´t like. Maybe I´ll have a look at Faststone.

Jingo

Faststone can be used as the most simple of image viewers... I have it set to "non-desktop" mode... if I double click an image, poof - I get a full screen preview immediately.  If you move the mouse to any of the corners or sides, you get toolbars that contain the advanced functionality.... but you don't have to use it.  It beats the win7 viewer is most every way...

jarraun

JohnZeman

Quote from: mastodon on January 28, 2020, 07:24:44 AM
I am wondering, wich software to use for culling, viewing. I have used IrfanView ever, best would be do it in IMatch. I found some really good softwares for viewing, but wich one for culling.
Faststone
FastPictureViewer Pro
FastRawViewer
and Pixort, that I found really good for comparing images.
Does any of the screws up metadata?

When I just need to cull a few photos I'll use IMatch.  But if I want to go through 1000 or more photos I'll use the FastStone Image Viewer before I'll import the keepers into IMatch.

For culling FastStone has a tagging feature that lets you mark images as you view each one.  Then when you're done viewing them with the push of an icon button FastStone will filter the images so you only see the ones you tagged.  From there you can move or delete them as desired.

I have never had a metadata problem using the FastStone Image Viewer, it's strictly a viewer and a very good one.