IMatch Not Automatically Rescanning

Started by Darius1968, February 19, 2020, 09:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

The attached log file represents launching IMatch, then opening the database, with the folder, "C:\__OLD-PC\User\Videos\_Downloads\__Kodi\Exodus\Exodus (1st Generation)\The Twilight Zone\Season 3\" highlighted in "Media & Folders" view. 
Before I last closed the database and quit IMatch, said folder was marked (and still is) as needing a rescan, but IMatch for whatever reason, isn't obliging to this need.  What reason could there be for this, given the results of the log file?  Thanks. 

Mario

What happens if you select the folder and press Shift+F5?
Is the automatic background scan enabled under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

QuoteWhat happens if you select the folder and press Shift+F5?
Then, the new file will be ingested into IMatch.  I have done just this to acquire a new file, which should be reflected in the latest log file I've made available here. 

QuoteIs the automatic background scan enabled under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing?
Yes, "Import new and updated files automatically" is in effect. 

Mario

Nothing unusual in the log files.
Folder is rescanned, files added.

Keep an eye on the Info & Activity Panel.
If no entries are in the queue, IMatch did not find new files to process.
If the rescan icon stick, something is modifying the folder often (outside of IMatch) but IMatch does not find new files to index.
If there are entries in the queue but IMatch is not processing them, the UI might be to busy. Or something is stuck...? Close and re-open the database to force a processing the queue.

Run a diagnosis to make sure the database is healthy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

The Info & Activity Panel reports no files in the queue, even after closing and reopening both the program and database, performing a database diagnosis (healthy), as well as a Compact and Optimize.  To test further, I have added a text file into two folders with the same result of IMatch marking the respective folders as needing a rescan, however, failing to act upon this need. 

Darius1968

Update: 
Performing a system reboot of Windows 10 appears to have solved the problem.  What could have before the reboot, caused the folders to be correctly identified as needing a rescan, but IMatch not acting accordingly? 

Mario

Windows 10 does no longer really reboot unless you explicitly tells it to. It merely dumps the RAM to the disk and then stops.
This means that all kinds of junk an accumulate over time, causing all kinds of strange effects. Like this one. Could by anything. From a Windows failure to a virus checker to a buggy shell extension installed on your system.
I have no idea what happened. And it makes no sense to waste time on issues which are resolved by a Windows reboot.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

Do you think there is the possibility of any hardware failure/malfunction, or is it safe to assume this type of an issue is most likely confined more to the kinds of things that you have mentioned?  I do a full reboot (shutting down the system, waiting 30 sec., and then power up, instead of just a restart) roughly once a week. 

Mario

If Windows notices any hardware defects, issues with drivers etc. it logs them to the Windows Event log. I recommend to check there for potential issues.
The general rule is: Reboot occasionally to keep your system sane.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

Quote from: Mario on February 19, 2020, 02:26:06 PM
Windows 10 does no longer really reboot unless you explicitly tells it to. It merely dumps the RAM to the disk and then stops.
This means that all kinds of junk an accumulate over time, causing all kinds of strange effects. Like this one. Could by anything. From a Windows failure to a virus checker to a buggy shell extension installed on your system.
I have no idea what happened. And it makes no sense to waste time on issues which are resolved by a Windows reboot.

The log file I'm now submitting, reflects a reboot of Windows 10, not more than a half-day-old.  I just saved a text file ("Twilight Text.txt") into this folder:  "C:\__OLD-PC\D\_01\_Backups\_201309\00\_Family\Darius\_Government\_Social Security\_Login\", and about 1 min. after, IMatch marks that folder as needing a rescan, but doesn't act on that.  There is this line in the included log file about this specific folder:  "02.21 07:55:33+    0 [2CD8] 10  I>                       C:\__OLD-PC\D\_01\_Backups\_201309\00\_Family\Darius\_Government\_Social Security\_Login\Login.txt"

That folder has just two files - the one enumerated in the log file, and the one I just added, that isn't being indexed.  So, given that a reboot may solve this issue, but also that I rebooted not long ago, what can we now do to troubleshoot?  Thanks. 

Mario

I have no idea.

The log file does not even contain an AddOrUpdateFolder function call. Which is executed when the folder scanner in IMatch finds a modified folder. Or neither AddOrUpdate file, which is called when IMatch detects a modified file.

Disable shell extensions.
Disable background applications and services.
Anything that may impact the Windows file system.
Maybe performing a clean boot or reinstalling Windows will help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

As it turns out, my antivirus solution (Bitdefender) was the culprit in this situation.  This was resolved by simply deactivating and reactivating Bitdefender.  I do have all folders excluded from antivirus protection, that have my IMatch databases.  So, what could Bitdefender have been doing that allowed IMatch to see that a folder was modified, however, not allowing an "AddOrUpdateFolder function call"? 

Quote from: Mario on February 21, 2020, 02:57:08 PM
Disable shell extensions.
Disable background applications and services.
Anything that may impact the Windows file system.
Maybe performing a clean boot or reinstalling Windows will help.
How to do these things?  Are they documented somewhere in the IMatch help? 

Mario

I mentioned to check your anti-virus in one of my replies above. They are often the reason for obscure problems.

Make sure IMatch is configured as an exception (see also IMPORTANT: Virus Checkers for more info).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator