Configuring maps

Started by juanjo, February 25, 2020, 12:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juanjo

Hello,

I'm trying to make the maps panel work but I'm finding some issues.

I've created a google API key and enabled javascript, elevation and geocoding but when selecting Google Maps in maps panel I get the message:

This page can't load Google Maps correctly.

I also can't make "Find location" work with Google.

Regarding Here Maps, i've created an account but it doesn't seem to support app codes any more, now it uses API keys. Is there any workaround? Is IMATCH going to be updated in order to use AIP keys?

Thank you

Mario

Always include a log file so we can see the exact error message from Google.

HERE changes thing all the time. I cannot keep up, especially since there is less than a handful of IMatch uses who uses HERE.
I'm not sure if changing the HERE support to use their new authentication schema will be implemented very soon. Old keys still work, apparently.
I'm currently at 120% getting IMatch 2020 and the matching IMatch Anywhere version out of the door. So, if, then some time after IMatch 2020 is out.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

juanjo

I tried HERE because I had problems making Google work, but once I get Google to work fine I'm sure I won't really need it.

The Google Maps error message is shown within the map view.  I copy below log file and a snapshot of map view:

02.25 14:49:28+34687 [4410] 00  I> # Loglevel changed to 50.
02.25 14:49:33+ 4875 [264C] 10  M>  >  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerPOST_Data  'v:\develop\imatch5\src\imws\imatchwebservices.cpp(16458)'
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 10  M>  <  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerPOST_Data
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 10  M>  >  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerPOST_Data  'v:\develop\imatch5\src\imws\imatchwebservices.cpp(16458)'
02.25 14:49:33+   16 [264C] 10  M>  <  1 [16ms] CIMatchWebServices::HandlerPOST_Data
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 10  M>  >  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerGET_GeoLocations  'v:\develop\imatch5\src\imws\imatchwebservices.cpp(18582)'
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 00  M>   >  2 CIMGeoLocationManager::GetLocations  'v:\develop\imatch5\src\imengine\imgeolocation.cpp(228)'
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 00  M>   <  2 CIMGeoLocationManager::GetLocations
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 10  M>  <  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerGET_GeoLocations
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [476C] 50  M>  >  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerGET_Files  'v:\develop\imatch5\src\imws\imatchwebservices.cpp(8645)'
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [476C] 10  M>   >  2 PTMetabase::GetGPSCoordinates  'v:\develop\imatch5\src\imengine\ptmetabase2.cpp(2622)'
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [476C] 10  M>   <  2 PTMetabase::GetGPSCoordinates
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [476C] 50  M>  <  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerGET_Files
02.25 14:49:33+   63 [264C] 50  M>  >  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerGET_Files  'v:\develop\imatch5\src\imws\imatchwebservices.cpp(8645)'
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 10  M>   >  2 PTMetabase::GetGPSCoordinates  'v:\develop\imatch5\src\imengine\ptmetabase2.cpp(2622)'
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 10  M>   <  2 PTMetabase::GetGPSCoordinates
02.25 14:49:33+    0 [264C] 50  M>  <  1 CIMatchWebServices::HandlerGET_Files

Thanks, and of course and I understand that the priority goes to launching IMATCH 2020.

Mario

If Google shows this message and "For development purposes" only, the API key is not accepted or not configured correctly.
You did not include the full log file so I cannot see the error messages returned by Google.

NOTE: Don't just copy/paste log file data in your replies. This messes up the community search engine and is typically not useful anyway. Because there are important entries at the beginning of the log file I need to see and seeing only a part does not help.

Make sure you enable the key, add a credit card to your Google account (this is required even if you only use your monthly free quota) and enable the three APIs mentioned here. Google no longer allows for accounts without a valid credit card or other payment method. This has changed back in July last year. You won't be charged unless you use more than your monthly free quota, but a CC must be linked with your account.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

The new API Key method from HERE is actually the exact same.. but uses an updated mapjs-cor.js (version 3.1) and a API key instead of app id/code.

I modified a few lines in my Reverse Geocode app and it is now working with the API Key instead... hopefully not too much work to modify the parameters and reads in the mapapp/app.js file... though as mentioned, not sure how many folks use HERE anyway.

Updated Reverse Geo app found here: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9093.msg68650#msg68650

Mario

IMatch 2020 supports both the old app:code and the new API keys with the new rest endpoints and domains.
This means Map Panel, Find in Map Panel and reverse geocoding.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

juanjo

I guess the problem was that I didn't include billing information. I'm not sure I want to do that, I'm not very happy providing my card info, maybe someday the free quota is reduced or eliminated and I don't realise in time, for example. I'll see if I can get by without it.

Thanks anyway

Mario

Google will always inform several week ahead you when there is a change.
Google services are used by millions of companies/users world-wide and they have their billing processes working very well.

You can also enable a quota limit to get emails when you exceed a certain payment, like, 5 dollars.

All geo-coding services (except GeoNames.org) and all mapping services (except OSM) demand a 'paid' account - with an associated payment method (usually CC).
This is for legal reasons and for protecting their service against abuse.

GeoNames.org and OpenStreetMap (OSM) are created and maintained (and paid for) by volunteers.
If you switch to these services to avoid Google/Microsoft/HERE, it would be only fair for you to donate some money every month to support these volunteer projects.
See here for more info.

Free lunch is over. People have been trained for several years to like and use mapping services. They were free.
Now Google, Microsoft and HERE others want some return on investment. Which is perfectly understandable.
People pay 8 bucks for a coffee at Starbucks. Why not pay 5 bucks a months to use Google Maps?

I've read that Google spent several hundred million US$ to create Google Maps. And it surely costs a lot to maintain it, pay for the hardware and power. Why should thy give it away for free?

I think the rates are very reasonably and the monthly free quotes are fair. I mean, how many normal people need to reverse geo-code more than 1,000 files a month? Or make more than 1,000 map calls?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mrfurry

Could a URL for a tile service be used to and iMatch create a layer?  This is common for ESRI and other tile servers (like OSM/mod_tile)

While I agree the free lunch is over, that does not mean we need to march in lock-step with Silicon Valley takers. 

As a company we contribute to OSM and we host our own slippy map server. 

Don't preach too loudly.

Mario

I ship the complete Map Panel source code, including the integrations for OSM via OpenLayers.
Feel free to adapt the Map panel to your own needs, like adding support for your own tile server.
I doubt that many users will have use for this, so I have no plans to implement such a feature myself.

The source code which interfaces via OpenLayers with OSM is in C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\webroot\imatch\apps\FEATURES\mapapp\ol
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator