Filter for non-metadata?

Started by Stefan, March 08, 2020, 11:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan

Hi, is there a way to filter/search/sort for non-metadata? I am especially looking for "errors" like
- write error. When I write back metadata for thousands of files and I get the error "file is write protected" for single files, then I want to find/filter the trouble makers. And actually those files are not really write protected (at least in e.g. TotalCommander I couldn't find any write protected files) but might be somewhat corrupted.
- offline files. While I could delete them with a rescan, I would prefer to filter them and remove manually to avoid any overwriting of the other files through a rescan

JohnZeman

If you just want to find files that have missing metadata you can do so using something like this in a formula category.

"@RFolder[file://D:/Mine/Photos/Years/]" AND "@MetadataTag[XMP::dc\description\Description\0,novalue]"

The above formula shows all files that do not have descriptions in the subfolders of D:\Mine\Photos\Years\

You can also use the Filter Panel to search for missing metadata or errors.

Mario

The Filter Panel allows you to search for offline files, files marked as read-only on disk (via the corresponding file system attribute) etc.
Use the Rating, Label & Collections and the File Properties  filter for this purpose.

To find all files for which ExifTool has returned error messages or warnings (and which show the yellow warning marker), you can use the Metadata Search This is not something that happens often, so there is no special feature for this.

But IMatch imports the special Extra\Error\Error tag that is filled by ExifTool when it encounters an error reading/writing a file. If you filter for this tag using the "has value" option, you see all files with errors in the current scope (folder, disk, database, ...)

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook