The Event Timeline - question

Started by sinus, March 08, 2020, 06:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario
The new "Event Timeline" is very interesting.
Basically it is, what you call it: a timeline.

My question is simple:
Do you have some plans, adding in the future more timelines or more options?

I mean, if we google for "timeline with images" we get a lot of different kinds (see attachement).

I want only know, can you imagine, that you will add in the future more possibilities or do you have no such plans?
You probably have enough to do with others, but asking is allowed.  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The IMatch timeline is with images. You select a point in the timeline and you see all the images in the file window.
The IMatch Event timeline arranges your events along a timeline. Each event is represented by a cover image you choose. When you click an event, you see all images associated with that event.

IMatch Anywhere WebViewer has a pretty sophisticated timeline "with images" as per your definition (with expanding image sets, animation etc.) It is not often used...

Samples you find on the internet often have 10 or 20 images only per point in the timeline (per day). IMatch users often have dozes or hundreds of images per day / week / month. And with this numbers, all the fancy and shiny timelines you find on Google just fall apart. Because it is easy to visualize 5 or 10 images per node. But when you have 50 or 500, things start to look much more ugly and become virtually unmanageable.

I know you really "into" timelines and stuffs and do them with Design & Print.
I'm not sure if a substantial number of users also sees a "more fancy" timeline as important. Let's see what other users think.

I could do all kinds of fancy timeline stuff. But what looks good in the Google image search may not really work with real-life.
Do you have a link to a timeline that does what you have in mind?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Markus

sinus

Thanks, Mario, for your always really good tips, besides the great support of course :-)
You're right, I think timelines are great and meanwhile I use a (for me) very good timeline with design & print.
This tool is really great, what I do there, I could do with InDesign, BUT the big advantage of IMatch is that I can easily choose new images and the timeline is displayed new.
And that's not possible in InDesign, as far as I know.

You asked for a timeline, besides your beautiful Anywhere - Timeline I found one that I find interesting and above all not soooooo complicated.

Here a link with a demo:
https://technotarek.com/timeliner/demo-future/timeliner-future.html

The link to this timeline and GitHub is
https://github.com/technotarek/timeliner

I have tried something with your HTML-script, just super coarse, see attachement.
Do you think I could achieve something like in the demo, cool with the collapse-expand-possibilty, (of course with a lot, a lot of time, I know)?
If so, would you rather try to change YOUR HTML export script or that from this github site?

I know, you might not be able to give an answer, you might as well say that you just can't know.
And I know, you are in the "update-modus" for the next release, you can also just ignore this, would be ok for me.
But maybe you have an idea where I could better start.
Markus

Jingo

:-) - I think I could come up with something using this code if you are interested... let me know and I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on March 17, 2020, 10:54:54 PM
:-) - I think I could come up with something using this code if you are interested... let me know and I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

Oh, Jingo, of coure I am interested!  :D ;D :)

I envy your knowledge of scripting, just amazing, what one can do with knowledge of Javascript for example.
I tried over the years here and there with JS, but to be honest, I would love to dive deep into it, but somehow my "technical understandig" is limited or if I have some small success, then I have not more the time and after some month my small knowledge is gone again.  :-[ ::)

But such a timeline, where I could select some images and a script would nicely "ordering" my images and use also the metadata for displaying, this impresses me really.
That is what I must do with all timelines I tried to find over the net: you have to write your text all over again.
And these texts (like headline, description and finally the date) are already in my images.

If you have the time it would be of course fantastic, if you could "give it a shot"
(a funny, nice sentence for my ears  ;D)
Markus

Jingo

Making progress... but need to get the sort worked out so all the images are grouped as such... the framework is in place so hopefully I'll have this polished off tomorrow... stay tuned!

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on March 18, 2020, 11:12:00 PM
Making progress... but need to get the sort worked out so all the images are grouped as such... the framework is in place so hopefully I'll have this polished off tomorrow... stay tuned!

Hey Andy
Thanks a lot, really, for your effort.
But please take your time, I am more than happy, that you look at this, if it takes a week, fine, if it takes a month, also fine!!!

Of course I stay tuned (I had to check this with deepl.com) and I am curious, but good things takes time.  :D

BTW: I hope, that what you do, you personally finds it also interesting
Markus

Jingo

Quote from: sinus on March 19, 2020, 08:15:26 AM

Absolutely!  I love working on this stuff   ;D

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on March 19, 2020, 03:18:52 PM
Quote from: sinus on March 19, 2020, 08:15:26 AM

Absolutely!  I love working on this stuff   ;D

:D :D :D
Markus

Jingo

Quote from: sinus on March 19, 2020, 03:21:14 PM

I finally finished setting up the timeline to work from within IM... took me a bit to figure out how to dynamically build the required logic on the fly in order to display the data for selected images.  Now that I have the building blocks set within the app, I just need to compartmentalize the functions and allow them to be called by date groupings... once that is set and I've done some checking and testing, I'll upload the APP to the APP section... fun stuff!

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on March 28, 2020, 11:15:21 PM
Quote from: sinus on March 19, 2020, 03:21:14 PM

I finally finished setting up the timeline to work from within IM... took me a bit to figure out how to dynamically build the required logic on the fly in order to display the data for selected images.  Now that I have the building blocks set within the app, I just need to compartmentalize the functions and allow them to be called by date groupings... once that is set and I've done some checking and testing, I'll upload the APP to the APP section... fun stuff!

Hey, great news, Jingo!  :D
I am really curious, how you can do there something.
Cool, that you could do something  :) I could not (only very small things), unfortunately :-[
Markus

Jingo

Just lots of practice, internet help and a bit of trial and error... fun to learn and satisfying when you get the results you expect!

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on March 29, 2020, 02:30:02 PM
Just lots of practice, internet help and a bit of trial and error... fun to learn and satisfying when you get the results you expect!

Boah!!! Cool stuff, your image!  :) Looks promising, really.

You are right, trial and error, internet help, IMatch examples!!! does help a lot.

But I guess, a little bit of "tech-feeling" one must have ... and I think, you have this and I have it too, but only a fraction of your tech-understanding.

Markus

Jingo

Quote from: sinus on March 29, 2020, 04:19:35 PM
Quote from: Jingo on March 29, 2020, 02:30:02 PM

Boah!!! Cool stuff, your image!  :) Looks promising, really.

You are right, trial and error, internet help, IMatch examples!!! does help a lot.

But I guess, a little bit of "tech-feeling" one must have ... and I think, you have this and I have it too, but only a fraction of your tech-understanding.

I little bit more and more each day!

Jingo

and... all set and ready for you Markus!  Please see the official APP page and let me know your thoughts... this one was a doozy!   ENJOY! - Andy.

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=10010.0

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on April 07, 2020, 12:06:33 AM
and... all set and ready for you Markus!  Please see the official APP page and let me know your thoughts... this one was a doozy!   ENJOY! - Andy.

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=10010.0

Hey Andy
cooler as cool!  :)
Thanks a lot, I will download it immediately and I think and hope, that I can "study" it today. Well, study means look and read, and try.
Since I have to go out for some time now, I will simply quickly download it, and I will write aboout it in the app-thread.

I have NOW no clue, how your solution looks like, but I am sure, it is a good one.
Thanks a lot for your work ... more a bit later, when I have looked at it!
Best wishes ans stay healthy!
Markus