Face recognition and the future

Started by jch2103, March 10, 2020, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

John

ColinIM

Thank you John.
Much food for thought in that article - written in The New Yorker's typical merry style.

I think the author managed to comment on every one of the twists on 'surveillance in public' that I've heard about or read about recently!

When he mentioned those take-overs (in USA) of smaller AI companies by some bigger companies, he made me wonder if our beloved IMatch - with this new powerful face recognition AI in IMatch 2020 - could also be the victim of some future 'take-over' attempts ... by who-knows who!!  A scary thought!

Mario

No worries.

I'm too small, not driven by venture-capital, I don't try to disrupt things and I'm not hoarding, analyzing and monetizing the data of my customers.
This makes my little shop totally uninteresting these days.

I just try to create a great product, with great support, for a sensible price.
If you're older, you'll remember that many companies did that in the past. But these days, this is rather uncommon, I'm afraid  :-X ::) ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on March 11, 2020, 08:50:50 PM
I just try to create a great product, with great support, for a sensible price.
If you're older, you'll remember that many companies did that in the past. But these days, this is rather uncommon, I'm afraid  :-X ::) ;)

Funny - I just had a client tell me that I was a "rare breed" for the hands-on service I provided them during their months long book design project... to me, it was just another day at the office, providing solid customer support and occasionally going beyond the day-to-day to make them happy and ease their concerns... to them - it was quite unusual... sad so many companies have lost this touch.

DigPeter

I remember the forerunners of Corel's Paint Shop and Adobe's Lightroom were just one-man band products.  Those were the days!  The authors were responsive and helpful (like Mario).  Admittedly the products have been developed since, but who knows by how much more than the original authors would have achieved.

Jingo

Quote from: DigPeter on March 12, 2020, 01:36:19 PM
I remember the forerunners of Corel's Paint Shop and Adobe's Lightroom were just one-man band products.  Those were the days!  The authors were responsive and helpful (like Mario).  Admittedly the products have been developed since, but who knows by how much more than the original authors would have achieved.

Yes... I used both JASC Paint shop pro and Pixmantec Rawshooter... both amazing products that I used for many years before they were sold, gobbled up and dismantled (or turned into what I consider bloat-ware).  Development usually starts with a small team or person and expands from there... the human mind is impressive!