Integrated web services won't start

Started by Carlo Didier, March 15, 2020, 09:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

Since today, the integrated web services won't start anymore, saying the port might be in use.
Checked with netstat -b, but the port is not used. Same if I try configuring another port.
iMatch log file attached.

Windows patches were installed just before: KB4537759 and KB4532693

Nothing else changed.
System is Windows 10 Pro with iMatch 2020.3.4

thrinn

Just to be sure: Did you restart your PC?
I have both patches you mentioned. IMatch works without problems. My update history shows them to have been installed on 13.02.2020, a whole month ago.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Web server reports that it cannot bind to the default port.
Use a free port.

Some other software or Windows may have linked to the port to something that servers as a server on your system.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2020, 09:31:40 PM
Web server reports that it cannot bind to the default port.
Use a free port.

Some other software or Windows may have linked to the port to something that servers as a server on your system.

As I already said, I tried various ports and netstat didn't show any of them in use. Even rebooted after each change of port.
I'll try to re-install iMatch to see if that helps.

mopperle

Carlo,
I had the same issue, except that changing the port in IMatch solved the problem. I also never really found out what blocks the default port in my case. The netstat command is not very userfriendly, so here some guidance on how to use it (if you not already know):

- open the command prompt (or Windows Powershell ISE if installed) as Administrator
- type the following command: netstat -aon | findstr /r :xxxxx   xxxxxx is the port number
- You will get an output like this: "TCP    0.0.0.0:8080    0.0.0.0:0    ABHOEREN    3572" the last characters, in this case 3572 is the process-ID
- no type in: tasklist /FI "PID eq xxxx" /FO TABLE   xxxx=process ID
- the next ouput should give you something like this, where you can see what programm is blocking the port (sorry, text in German, but the exe is quite clear:

Abbildname                PID      Sitzungsname     Sitz.-Nr.   Speichernutzung
========================= ======== ================ =========== ===============
TNSLSNR.EXE               3572     Services         0           3.232 K

Unfortunately sometimes the port is only blocked temporary which makes it more hard to discover it.
Have you check your AV software for blocking any ports?

thrinn

Personally, I prefer TCPView which can be downloaded or, if using the Edge Browser, even started directly from the Microsoft/Sysinternals web site. The advantage is that it shows connected and unconnected endpoints and displays also a readable process name.

But still, if the port was blocked, netstat should have displayed some information about that.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Besides the port being blocked by another application or service, the only other known cause for this error message is a anti-virus software blocking IMatch from opening a port. Because it considers this a malicious operation. Then the port will show open in netstat, but the virus checker should report something in its log file or tell the user.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

As I already mentioned, netstat did not show any of the ports I tried as in use. And the virus checker hasn't changed and doesn't say it has blocked anything.

Mario

Experience tells me that if something fails only one computer and suddenly, after working for a long time, the problem is on that computer.
Besides the two already mentioned causes, I have no idea what else might prevent the embedded web server in IMatch.

Since introducing IMatch Anywhere several years ago, it always was an application/service blocking the port or a bloody virus checker getting into a frenzy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mopperle

I agree with Mario, if every port you try is blocked, something is very special on your system and it is more likely that not the port is blocked, but the software trying to use it. And this is done by firewalls and/or AV software. Depending on what kind of Firewall/AV-Software you use, temporarly turn it off completely or partially.

Mario

The Windows firewall by default asks the user when a "new" application tries to open a port. Like "IMatch blabla wants to listen to incoming connections on port... - do you want to allow that?".
Anti-Virus or similar "security" solutions these days often just block the application, but don't inform the user (to void scaring him/her). But then it should at least be logged somewhere in the AV log.

The OP wrote

QuoteAs I already said, I tried various ports and netstat didn't show any of them in use. Even rebooted after each change of port.

so it seems like something is blocking IMatch, whatever port it tries to use. And this sounds like some sort of security feature or AV.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Ok. it's working now. All I did was unplug the network once before starting iMatch and the error was gone.
Even now, after several reboots with the network connected, iMatch still works ...

Strange things are happening ...

Carlo Didier

Same problem again after updating iMath from 2020.5.2 to 2020.5.4 ... Didn't have it when updating to 2020.5.2

Checked the ports, none in use.

Nothing blocked by the Windows Firewall of McAfee. Actually, Windows Firewall is disabled because McAfee is installed.
If this repeats with every other update, it really gets annoying.

Logs and other info attached. I can send you the netstat output by email if you want to check it, but I can assure you that the port isn't in use.

And the problem only occured after the last iMatch update. Before it worked just fine and apart from the iMatch update, nothing has changed!

Carlo Didier

Once again got it working.
First I tried to stop as many services as I could without killing the system. No change.

Then I disabled all network connectors (unplugging wasn't enough this time). This allowed me to start iMatch without the error. Then I re-enabled them and iMatch still works ...