Video-Files: How to change CreateDate on file to XMP.CreateDate value

Started by Snarfbur, March 13, 2020, 12:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarfbur

Hello,
is it possible to change the createDate of a (video) file to the metadata createDate, saved in the XMP file with iMatch? If yes, how?

I have read a related topic: 'Script: Set file date/time from EXIF date/time  (Read 3309 times)' from 2016, But the solution is missing or I do not understand what steps I have to do.

Background: I'm using iMatch to enrich the metadata of my multi media files, using metadata flags for filtering what files should be shown to what group on my web (Using Piwigo).
Piwigo can import metadata from pictures, but ignores XMP-files. So for videos it is using the real file createData value and the videos are shown in the wrong folder.

regards, Snarfbur

Mario

Video metadata is an even bigger mess than image metadata.
There is no real metadata standard for video files. Some formats support o more or less complete sub-set of the Apple QuickTime metadata. But not even Apple does in all their products.
And all the various container formats which can contain multiple video streams in different formats make things even worse. And the patent-ridden nature of many video formats, where even looking to hard at it may affect one of the up to 1,000 software patents companies claim.

The best bet is to use XMP metadata. Stored in a sidecar file, or, depending on ExifTool abilities, embedded in the video file.
IMatch does that already.

It fills the standard XMP created/subject created time stamps from the best available time stamps available in your file. Which tags it uses for which formats is described here: How IMatch uses Date and Time Information

For video files, it tries about a dozen different tags which may contain date and time information. And uses the best it can find to initialize the XMP date and time IMatch uses, and the global "File DateTime" value IMatch uses to locate files on the timeline, for display in the File Window, for variables, sorting etc.

You can always change the date and time for your files in the Metadata Panel to control the date and time IMatch uses. IMatch writes your modified date and time back to the XMP sidecar file it maintains for video files.

If IMatch does not find a usable time stamp for your particular video files, but you know a tag you would like to use (maybe something camera or vendor specific), you can copy the data from this tag into the XMP created/subject created time stamps using a Metadata Template or the Metadata Mechanic app.

If this is the case, please send me a small sample of the video files you use (create a 10 second clip) and send it to support email address. I can then have a look at the metadata and maybe improve the automatic mapping into XMP IMatch performs when ingesting video files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Snarfbur

The Data in the XMP-File is filled correct.
I want to write the createDate information from the XMP file (or iMatch Database) back to the createDate of the Windows file.
I have to do this only for video files, because Piwigo reads the Metadata from the pictures, but not from XMP sidecar files.

Mario

What is the createDate of the Windows file.

Do you mean the Windows file system 'created' date?
Or some other metadata in the file?

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Snarfbur

Mario

Then just use the this variable with the TimeWiz: {File.Created|format:YYYY:MM:DD hh:mm:ss} (Set from Variable).
Or use the same variable in a Metadata Template.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator