IMatch 2020 Version 2020.5.4

Started by hluxem, May 16, 2020, 02:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

Thanks for the update! Downloaded and installed fine as usual.

I have a question in regard the enhancement #01166 Viewer: Modifying Face Annotations could really be helpful as I do copy and paste face annotations a lot.

QuoteWhen you close the Viewer or navigate to another image, the face detection is automatically performed for all pending annotations.

I thought this happens only for unconfirmed faces, but it looks like I'm wrong. I just tried it with some old black and white scans and the blue checkmark also appears next to a confirmed or unconfirmed person. When I moved to the next image, the face detection ran as described. Unfortunately it changed the name of a confirmed person and changed the status to unconfirmed.
Is this the intended behavior?
In my opinion and for my workflow, a confirmed person should never change when I move or resize an annotation. Currently I have to go back to the previous image to make sure that the names are still correct.

Mario

The behavior should be the same as before, it's just not triggered automatically anymore.
I have just added a switch.

Can you describe exactly how you have created the annotations, how you have changed them to produce the new blue button etc.?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

QuoteThe behavior should be the same as before
That's correct. The difference is that before I did see that the face assignment changed and I could correct it. Now I do have to go back to the image to double check.

QuoteI have just added a switch.
You are right. It will then not address my issue. Maybe I need to create a feature request for this.

QuoteCan you describe exactly how you have created the annotations, how you have changed them to produce the new blue button etc.?

In general my workflow looks like this:

• Run face recognition on a set of pictures
  • Open viewer
  • Correct wrong assignments either with face manager or manually in the viewer
  • Add missing faces with copy & paste, move and resize as needed for each picture.

The problem is that in step 4, moving and resizing will trigger a new face assignment, even if the face is already confirmed. I don't see a reason for a confirmed face to ever change. In fact isn't the that the definition of confirmed? With the current implementation I have to go back to make sure the person did not change.

Tveloso

So far I have seen this behavior just once...and I'd like to add the details for what my experience was:

For a group Photo (of 21 people), where IMatch had detected probably two thirds of the faces (some were averted from the camera, and many were heavily shadowed, from baseball caps on a bright sunny day).  The recognition was excellent for the faces that were detected...all but three of them had been automatically confirmed.  For the three that were not confirmed:

• Two were incorrect assignments
    These are people whose names I'll need to ask family members for (so there are currently no person records for them - hence the incorrect assignments)...but I could also see a resemblance to the incorrectly assigned persons.
  • One was a correct assignment
    Let's call this Person-A. I confirmed the assignment by selecting the Annotation, and pressing C
Now I added annotations for the remaining people.  This is so fast to do now:

• F6, Enter
  • Move and re-size as needed
...without having to pause in between - thank you so much Mario!

So now I had Annotations for everyone in the Photo - many Confirmed Faces, and several newly added Annotations, that were Pending Recognition (showing the new blue button).

I did not click on any of the blue buttons though...I instead selected one of the Pending Annotations, and pressed F2 to open the Person Selector, and added the correct name.

When I selected the second Annotation, and pressed F2, the box that should have been the Person selector, opened briefly (with a just black background), and closed again.  Now all of the other Pending Annotations had been processed - most were correct and Confirmed Assignments, but Person-A, which I had initially confirmed was reverted to an UnConfirmed Assignment, as part of that processing.

So it seems that a Confirmed Face (that had not been manipulated further - it did not have the blue "pending" button) was also processed as part of processing all the others that were pending - and it was reverted to the state that it had following the initial recognition.  My guess is that if the initial recognition had assigned an incorrect person, that this Annotation would also have been reverted to the incorrect assignment also (i.e. a Face that I had confirmed, and assigned a correct name to, would have been changed to an incorrect name).

If it will help, I can repeat this operation, with Debug logging on, and take more detailed notes as to my actions.
--Tony

plastikman

After doing this update I am having contant crashes of my IMatch installation. I can more or less reproduce it by going into the Viewer mode of any album. It mostly crashes on the 1st photo, sometimes it takes few photos to crash.

Could be something else causing the problem although I haven't had any problems in other applications.

I have attached two recent crash logs.

Mario

Do you use a nVidea graphic card? Recently updated the driver?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

plastikman

I do use a Nvidia GTX 1080. Didn't specifically update the driver or anything. Did do an install of Windows build 2004 last week and installed the latest available driver. I never had any problems before but there is many variables at play that could be causing it because I did fresh install, IMatch 2020.5.2 install and then an upgrade to 2020.5.4 shortly after.

photophart

FWIW I'm also using an Nvidia GTX 1080. At present it's running Nvidia Studio Driver 442.92 and iMatch and all my image editing software seem happy with that driver. I occasionally install Nvidia Game Ready Drivers just to see how they work on my system. Sometimes things crash, sometimes not. Studio Drivers seem to be more stable overall than the Game Ready Drivers....but not always.
Regards, Mark

thrinn

Quote from: plastikman on May 22, 2020, 12:51:11 AM
I do use a Nvidia GTX 1080. Didn't specifically update the driver or anything.

Some recent NVidia drivers caused IMatch Viewer to crash. Maybe, just to be sure, check if your driver version is 445? See this post - maybe it helps.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

plastikman

Quote from: photophart on May 22, 2020, 02:37:30 AM
FWIW I'm also using an Nvidia GTX 1080. At present it's running Nvidia Studio Driver 442.92 and iMatch and all my image editing software seem happy with that driver. I occasionally install Nvidia Game Ready Drivers just to see how they work on my system. Sometimes things crash, sometimes not. Studio Drivers seem to be more stable overall than the Game Ready Drivers....but not always.
Regards, Mark

Thanks Mark. I have done two things last night to see if I can mitigate the issue:

• Changed from the Nvidia Game Ready to the Nvidia Studio line of drivers (I already wanted to do this and apparently there is few impact on gaming performance, just fewer and slower updates for supported games (I tend to buy older games on offer to begin with)
  • I use Boxcryptor to encrypt some things. I recently had Windows Explorer crashing a lot as well, so maybe this relates in someway to the IMatch crashes since it leverages Windows infrastructure if I remember right. Maybe the new Windows 2004 release isn't properly supported yet with Boxcryptor. So I removed it for now to see if it mitigates my Explorer crashes (since the application integrates with it and installs extensions).

This morning I could use IMatch 2020 and the Viewer just fine so let's hope it is resolved.