Facial recognition birthdate + people manager

Started by dkyndt, June 02, 2020, 07:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkyndt

It would be nice is facial recognition does not tag babyfaces before their birth date.
I have 4 kids and they all have some similar looks,
My youngest kid is bord 2 months ago, and Imatch tags pictures of 2014 as my youngest kid.

Another nice feature is a checkmark where you can only see the people with unconfirmed faces. This way you do not need to scroll through all faces.

Another nice feature is the possibility to zoom out a bit in the thumbnails in the face manager.

I love the way Picasa does face handling, and maybe some features can be taken from there.

Mario

I don't understand what you mean with tagging your kids.
IMatch determines if there are faces in an image, and then tries to assign a person.
If you don't want a face tagged, just remove the face annotation. Or do not run face recgog on the images. This is optional.
Why would you want to exclude kids? You would not be able to find them via the Person View or the People Filter.

Have you used use the People Filter yet?
It allows you to see only files with unconfirmed faces. In all scopes, including People.

If you refer to the People View, it displays the number of unassigned faces for each person. Very easy to see which persons need work. Is this not sufficient? How many hundred of people do you manage?

Zoom out meaning "make the face image smaller"? What would that be good for?
Faces in the Face Manager are usually small anyway.

If you mean make the faces bigger, just click the face to zoom into the image to see the face larger.  If this what you mean.
Please refer to Integrated Image Viewer

Google has abandoned Picasa for good reasons years ago.
I have never used Google Picasa (except for checking what damage it does to metadata and how it stores face data in XMP).
Hence I have no idea to which general Picasa features you mean. You need to be more precise so other community members and I understand what you mean...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

dkyndt

My apologies for the unclear text. Let me try to explain more in detail.
I'm not in general familiar with the names from the panes and fields, as I use Imatch now for 5 days.

Let's say I have a baby born in 2020, I did enter the birthdate in the people manager. Imatch tags a photo made in 2014 with the suggestion that the face on the picture is the baby born in 2020. This is not possible by nature, therefore my suggestion is to add a feature to enable checking the birthdate against the create date of the photo.

QuoteAnother nice feature is a checkmark where you can only see the people with unconfirmed faces. This way you do not need to scroll through all faces.
I am referring to the people view. A checkmark over there to only check people with work. filtering via the filter manager does not filter the persons in the people view, and still does show all people.

QuoteAnother nice feature is the possibility to zoom out a bit in the thumbnails in the face manager.
In the face manager, you see the faces. In some pictures, it's hard to recognize the faces via the thumbnail. I know you can open the picture by double-clicking on it. this is actually lost of work, especially when you need to tag some 1000's of photos. An option to zoom in the face manager or view the whole picture instead of the face itself can help to fast recognize who it is.

I currently have 170people and still rising.

About the Picasa, I'll not argue and every one has its own reasons to use or not use it.

Mario

The Face Manager allows you to zoom into the image to see it bigger. Does this not work for you?

Using the birth date to weed out false positives is a good idea. I shall look into this. Not sure how efficient this will be, but worth a try.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Nauti

100+ Vote for considering the birth date. It makes no sense, when iMatch tags a face in a picture from 2005 with a person who is born 2015!

I was just about to write this feature request myself. It would also make a lot of sense when the face recognition would consider the age of a person. Especially when you deal a lot with familypictures with a lot of kids it would make sense. Face recognition is really good for teenager and adults but I have lots of misses with younger kids and babies.

In general iMatch 2020 is very impressive! Great work Mario!  :)

Herzliche Grüße,
Timo

David_H

Quote from: Mario on June 02, 2020, 08:36:59 PM
Using the birth date to weed out false positives is a good idea. I shall look into this. Not sure how efficient this will be, but worth a try.

Date of Death might be a useful filter too - they are unlikely to be a good candidate for any images created after their demise.

Mario

Quote from: Nauti on June 02, 2020, 08:44:52 PM
the face recognition would consider the age of a person. Especially when you deal a lot with familypictures with a lot of kids it would make sense. Face recognition is really good for teenager and adults but

It does already. And the date and time the image was taken. And ...
Just not for this very special case. Since this came never up before, it may be something that affects only specific workflows or types of collections.
Considering the persons age when matching faces may cause performance issues, so I need to investigate this first. This is all optimized to the hilt.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator