Person Groups

Started by Pawel, June 05, 2020, 01:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pawel

I am starting to use Person Groups and I see there are possibilities here :-)
I have however some questions:

• How many Person Groups can I add?
  • What is a maximum length of a Person Group name?
  • Will it be possible in a future to browse people by Person Group, like in a category or maybe a collection tree?
  • Will it be possible in a future to add a person to several Person Groups at once?

Mario

1. Unlimited
2. Unlimited (within reasonable bounds, it should be possible to display the group name on screen)
3. You can filter by group name already. A hierarchical display is not planned. Feel free to add feature requests in the appropriate board if you want new things or changes.
4. Not planned.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Quote from: Mario on June 05, 2020, 09:02:55 AM
1. Unlimited
2. Unlimited (within reasonable bounds, it should be possible to display the group name on screen)
3. You can filter by group name already. A hierarchical display is not planned. Feel free to add feature requests in the appropriate board if you want new things or changes.
4. Not planned.
How can I filter by groups? I have searched for a long time but unfortunately found nothing.

Mario

Just type in the group name or a part of it into the filter bar at the top of the Person View.
This search bar searches the tag, name, short name, other names, gender and the group name. It's simple and effective.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Quote from: Mario on June 17, 2020, 08:44:36 AM
Just type in the group name or a part of it into the filter bar at the top of the Person View.
Thanks. But how can I filter for people who do not belong to a certain group?

Mario

You cannot.

The general idea of the Person and Event concept is ease of use.
Users almost never complain about IMatch missing features - but they often complain that it is too complicated, has too many options and switches and modes.
Especially for new users and the new generation of users who start using IMatch and come from an  'app' context.

So, we start simple with these features, and other major features that follow.
And then add and enhance what's useful for many users over the upcoming releases. I've already added many things to people and events since end of February.
But I will not complicate things or add dozens of more options for maybe 10 or 20 people who will ever use it. This would cause additional complexity for other users, with no benefit.

At this time, I have no idea, how many other users than you will ever need to find people not belong to a specific group. Or how often.
So far you are the first user asking for this, if my memory serves correctly.

Feel free to write a feature request.
Other users can then comment and if a substantial number of users also needs a way to filter for not in group I will consider an enhancement for one of the next releases.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frankdarwin

O.K.. I can understand the reasons for the answer and can live with it. Nevertheless I will make a feature request for this function. If it doesn't work out, that's O.K. too.

plastikman

Quote from: Mario on June 17, 2020, 06:24:05 PM
You cannot.

Even not possible with variables? I do some things with variables related to people but haven't tried this one yet.

Mario

This is about filtering the persons shown in the People View to show only persons not in a certain person group. No variables here.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator