Database "splitt" possible?

Started by I_MatchUser, June 17, 2020, 05:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I_MatchUser

Hi,

is it possible to splitt somehow an exsisting database into two ones?
Or can I move items from one to another - how?

Since I'll get a big database (~200.000 files) I'm thinking about how to splitt it for performance improovement.

Thanks

Mario

200,000 files is not really that much. Of course it depends on your computer and how you use IMatch.
IMatch has been designed to manage very large databases efficiently. Much larger than most 'normal' users or small companies/institutes/libraries will ever have to deal with.
My largest database has 700,000 files and I work with it every day. I have a fairly fast PC, though.

Which operations are especially slow? Please produce a log file in debug mode (Help menu > Support > Debug Logging) (see: log file) so we can see how you work with IMatch and what takes how long.

A number of users works with multiple databases, for different purposes. Like one for images, another one for videos, PDF or MP3 files. This can make sense.

But splitting an image database usually causes a lot of additional work. You no longer can find all files. You no longer see all files. Categories, templates, persons and events will drift apart.
Very hard to re-consolidate and to always import and export stuff. I would really not recommend it.
Usually looking at your workflow and changing some things that slow down IMatch is better.

Splitting a database is easy:

1. Close IMatch.
2. Duplicate your database file with Copy & Paste.
3. Open the copy and go to Edit > Preferences > Database and change the database id of the copy. See Change Database ID
4. Use the Remove Folder from Database command (do not confuse with Delete Folder) to remove all folders you don't want to manage in the database.
5. Open the original database. Use the Remove Folder from Database command (do not confuse with Delete Folder) to remove all folders you don't want to manage in the database.
6. Run database diagnosis and Optimize & Compact on both databases to shrink them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook