Images in Face Manager distorted

Started by frankdarwin, June 19, 2020, 06:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

normally the images in the face manager are square. but sometimes i see distorted images (see screenshot). What is the reason for this?

ADMIN: Attachment removed. Please don't post images of identifiable persons in public forums without explicit written consent. This is illegal in Europe.

Mario

Send me one of the images containing these faces. Use support email address
Anything special about the shape of these faces in the image?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Hello,
I think I've identified the problem.
After I adjusted the face annotation rectangle in the image, the display in the face manager also changes.

Mario

Face annotations must not be square. The annotations automatically created by IMatch usually are, though.
Did you create these by hand? Or maybe these were imported from XMP and created with another software? Maybe an Apple phone?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

I too prefer to see all annotations as exact squares, even though this is usually not a correct shape to properly enclose a human face (a rectangle is usually best).

I know it's silly of me, but when working in face manager, and I see that there's one face in a row that causes an "extraneous border" at the bottom of the row (while all other faces that were created by IMatch are nicely aligned):

: ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... :
    : :       : :       : :       : :       : :       : :       : :       : :
    : :.......: :.......: :.......: :.......: :       : :.......: :.......: :
    :                                         :       :                     :
    :                                         :.......:                     :
    :.......................................................................:

...I usually use the Goto Person button on the "distorted" face rectangle, open that file in the Viewer, and delete and re-create the Annotation as follows:

• Click on the Annotation and press the Delete Key
  • Press F6 to add a new annotation
  • Position and Size the new Annotation to enclose the face (hold the Shift Key when re-sizing to constrain to the current dimensions - a square)

This makes that Annotation align with the others in Face Manager:
    : ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... :
    : :.......: :.......: :.......: :.......: :.......: :.......: :.......: :
    :.......................................................................:

I know this is extremely silly of me...(I imagine that there are probably a lot folks out there rolling their eyes at me right now).

In fact that old Annotation was perfectly proper and usable, and could simply have been confirmed along with the others, without any of that extra manipulation, but seeing all the faces in face manager neatly aligned, somehow appeals to me.  I even once posted a feature request, asking Mario if he could give us a key combination to constrain the Annotation to a Square while sizing (so save the delete and re-create step), but completely recognize that as something that would be of no benefit to anyone without this sickness of mine... :).
--Tony

Mario

My eyes rolled so fast, they just popped out of my head. I had a hard time finding them again  ::) ;D

Faces are not square (usually) and hence face annotations are neither. But they are mostly square.
Users can of course create face annotations in any shape they like.
And sometimes face annotations imported from XMP do not match the current aspect ratio of the image, which produces extra wide or high face annotations. But rarely.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Tveloso

--Tony

Mario

Thanks for sending me the file.
Several of the face annotations are elongated and this produces corresponding 'face images' which are much higher than wide. This is the expected behavior.
If you correct the face annotations, the face images will adapt.

Neither IMatch nor the Face Manager crops or stretches face images for display to force them to be square.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frankdarwin