Keywords colouring

Started by frlindla, October 29, 2020, 12:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

Can someone tell me how I can set colours to keywords? For example one colour for What-group, one for where-group and so on. I have tried to read but didn`t find out.

JohnZeman

Switch to the Categories View, select an @Keywords category, then at the bottom of your screen set the color properties.

It's the same principle you use for color coding regular categories.

Mario

Tips:

Searching the IMatch help for the word color shows Categories as the 2nd hit.
When you open the Categories help topic and Ctrl+F for color on that page, you'll find very quickly The Category Properties Tab which explains how to change category colors.

If you open the help for the Keyword Panel (click into the Keyword Panel and press the <F1> key on your keyboard) and then Ctrl+F for color, you'll find the section which explains how to show colors in the Keyword Panel, and where these colors come from.

There is also a related article in the IMatch knowledge base: Use Visual Clues to Improve Your Workflow.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

I have imported a new hierarchical keyword list, a norwegian list. If I want to color-code the standard 5 W's (WHAT, WHERE, WHO, WHEN, WHY) keywords, do I create these as child-categories under the @keyword-category? My idea was that some of my group keywords describe WHAT and some WHERE. This could give all keywords belonging to WHAT a green colour and all belonging to WHERE a blue colour. But I am not quite sure how to do it...Sorry;)

Mario

The @Keywords category hierarchy reflects the keywords in your files.

The tool to work with keywords is the Keyword Panel. And the thesaurus.
You can use color-coding for categories under @Keywords like you can use for any other category.

When you add a keyword like WHAT|fast car in the Keywords Panel for the first time, a corresponding category will show up under the @Keywords, as @Keywords|WHAT|fast car. Just apply a color WHAT and that's it.

The help topic which explains how to to that has already been linked above.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Years ago when I first set up my 5 W category system (Who, What, When, Where, Why) I put them as subcategories of @Keywords and it worked well for me.

@Keywords|What
@Keywords|When
@Keywords|Where
@Keywords|Who
@Keywords|Why

Since then my category system has changed and evolved a LOT but that was a good starting point for me.

I should also mention that creating the 5 W's as @Keywords subcategories works well for me because I do not assign any regular keywords to any of my images.

If you do add regular keywords to your images then maybe you might want to consider creating your 5 W category system as regular categories instead of @Keyword categories.