strange issue with drag-and-drop

Started by timoteo, December 27, 2020, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timoteo

I selected an image to drop-and-drop COPY into another folder for editing with C1. The help docs say to COPY instead of MOVE to another directory via drag-and-drop you should do select the image(s) and then hold the Ctrl key while dragging and dropping. So I did like I would do in Windows, selected the image, hit Ctrl, and started dragged it to the other folder but it doesn't do anything. It doesn't drag the image which is selected.

It works only if I select the image, drag it to the other folder as in a MOVE type drag-and-drop, but before releasing the mouse key I hit and hold the CTRL key and then drop the image. When I hit the CTRL key the icon associated with the mouse pointer adds a "+" symbols and then I can release the mouse key and the image is COPIED and dropped into that location.

Windows File Manager drag-and-drop allows me to select the image while holding the CTRL key and drag it and copy it to the destination. No need to remember to hit CTRL in the middle of the drag.

Mario

I selected some files in a file Window and dragged them to Windows Explorer. I hold down Ctrl (the cursor changes from move to copy) and release the mouse. The files are copied. Works as advised.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

I suspect this is what is happening -

Select a single image - the preview changed to red - release the mouse key
Hold down the CTRL key and click on the image - the preview changes to grey
Drag the image to new location - nothing happens

You have to click and hold on the preview a second time (while holding down the CTRL key) in order to drag/copy the image.

Mario

Which "preview" changes to a color...?

Just select files in a File Window and then click and hold. Drag. Release (optionally holding Ctrl). Same procedure as in Windows Explorer.
If you just click and release or Ctrl+click and release, you are just changing the selected state of the image you click. Click and hold the mouse button down, then drag.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

Quote from: Mario on December 27, 2020, 04:37:31 PM
Which "preview" changes to a color...?

I mean the colour surrounding the actual image which changes to grey to show it's been deselected.

Quote from: Mario on December 27, 2020, 04:37:31 PMJust select files in a File Window and then click and hold. Drag. Release (optionally holding Ctrl). Same procedure as in Windows Explorer.

But it's not exactly the same as in Windows Explorer.  In Explorer if you click a file to select it, release the mouse button, hold down the CTRL key and then click-and-hold on the file again, it stays selected and you can drag the file.   You have to release the mouse button for it to deselect the file.

But if you follow the same procedure in IMatch it de-selects the file as soon as you click on the file even if you hold down the mouse button, then you can't drag it as it's been 'de-selected'.  You have to release the mouse button and click it again to re-select the file before you can drag it - which you don't have to do in Explorer.

Mario

Don't press Ctrl and then click. Ctrl+click in IMatch toggles the selection state of the thumbnail you click.
Just start dragging and then press Ctrl when you want a copy operation.
This behavior is unchanged since IMatch 5.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

loweskid

Quote from: Mario on December 27, 2020, 06:19:52 PM
Don't press Ctrl and then click. Ctrl+click in IMatch toggles the selection state of the thumbnail you click.
Just start dragging and then press Ctrl when you want a copy operation.
This behavior is unchanged since IMatch 5.

I appreciate that - in fact the behavior is unchanged since IMatch 3.  My remarks weren't meant as a criticism or a suggestion that you should change it in any way - I was merely pointing out that the behavior is slightly different than in Windows Explorer which may have led to the 'issue' that timoteo is seeing.

Mario

Not all functionality must necessarily match individual user expectations. Or be modeled based on other applications, in this case, Windows Explorer.

IMatch not only uses drag & drop for opening files in other applications, but also for dragging files inside IMatch (e.g., to another View, folder, category, ...), to IMatch Apps and to manually reorder files within the File Window when custom sort profiles are used. IMatch also offers sophisticated selection manipulation models to individually select ranges of files, de-select selected files within a selection, selecting ranges of files, focusing files etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

timoteo

Modeling on a common behavior used by an operating system used by millions under which a product runs is beneficial to users of the product. This assists users in learning to operate a new software system and reduces their frustration.

The argument that iMatch has always done it this way is not an argument against improving the behavior.

Perhaps your code could be modified to differentiate between the case where ctrl is used in selecting images and when ctrl is used with drag-and-drop.

timoteo

Is my previous reply rude or too terse? I've read that Germans often prefer direct, unemotional, to-the-point point communication rather than the American style of softening the message to avoid hurt feelings and our often overly friendly and casual style in business relationships.

sinus

Quote from: timoteo on December 28, 2020, 03:25:43 AM
Is my previous reply rude or too terse? I've read that Germans often prefer direct, unemotional, to-the-point point communication rather than the American style of softening the message to avoid hurt feelings and our often overly friendly and casual style in business relationships.

I don't think, your comment was rude ... but I am not a German, hence I can not really answer this.  8)

But to be honest, I do also not see your point.
Usually inside IMatch, I want to MOVE a picture, and the behaviour like it is here in IMatch, avoids me to hit also Ctrl.

Maybe you could create a feature request and find out, what other users think?
I personally would vote for letting it, like it is.

Finally this is a DAM and from my point of view, I want mostly move files, not copy, hence I can simply click on the thumb and move it to another folder, and it is done.
I think, this is simply a thing, where users think different.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuotePerhaps your code could be modified to differentiate between the case where ctrl is used in selecting images and when ctrl is used with drag-and-drop.
It does. You hold down Ctrl and click => toggle selection/focus state.
You click and drag and then hold down Ctrl as needed to decide between move and copy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator