Jumbled View

Started by afengler, March 14, 2021, 01:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afengler

After importing my images (ARW and JPG pairs) from a central location using the Renamer, sometimes one or more of the ARW images are jumbled by including a second unrelated raw file. The JPG partner is always intact (see attached).
The File Window thumbnail as well the Quick View and the Viewer image show this distortion.
The actual image files are fine and undistorted.
This only happens sometimes and is not easily reproducible. Would it be helpful to turn Debug mode on and create a new log file for each import operation in the hope of catching it eventually?

IMatch 2020.14.2
Win 10 Pro Version 20H2
CPU: i7-6850K
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

Mario

I have never seen that one before.
Does this persist even if you close and re-open IMatch? I mean, is the actual thumbnail image stored in the database messed up? This would be a first.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

monochrome

I had something like that a while back: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=8858.msg62260#msg62260

To me it seemed linked to RAW processing (I switched to using embedded preview image and that fixed it), but just what the problem is, is still a mystery (read Mario's answer at the bottom - it's not clear that it's RAW processing).

afengler

Yes, it persists - the thumbnail image in the database is indeed messed up...
My only explanation would be that this happens (occasionally) during the import process when the Renamer first changes the filename and then moves each file to its final location on disk. Since it only affects raw files some timing glitch might happen during the decoding process??

Mario

I don't understand. The Renamer does not produce images, it just renames them. Or copies/moves them.
What exactly do you do in the Renamer and in which order. Do you move/copy files with the Renamer into folders managed by IMatch?

Are there any errors or warnings logged to the log file after this happened?
Or does IMatch log warnings or errors when you process your ARW files, even if things look OK?
Can IMatch use the embedded preview or does it have to do actual RAW development?
Which WIC codec do you use or has IMatch to fall back on LibRaw?
Please run a WIC diagnosis on one of your ARW files and attach the result.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

afengler

I don't understand. The Renamer does not produce images, it just renames them. Or copies/moves them.
What exactly do you do in the Renamer and in which order. Do you move/copy files with the Renamer into folders managed by IMatch?
The origin folder is managed by IMatch and contains a batch of images for import. The Renamer creates the destination folder(s) with names based on filename and filedate  and moves the files there.
Are there any errors or warnings logged to the log file after this happened?
No.
Or does IMatch log warnings or errors when you process your ARW files, even if things look OK?
No errors or warnings.
Can IMatch use the embedded preview or does it have to do actual RAW development?
IMatch uses the jumbled image like any other image.
Which WIC codec do you use or has IMatch to fall back on LibRaw?
Sony Raw Decoder.
Please run a WIC diagnosis on one of your ARW files and attach the result.
see attached.

Mario

You are using the FactPictureViewer code pack which is several years out of date and not  supported for several years too.

Maybe uninstall it and reboot and then force a rescan of the affected files with Shift+Ctrl+F5 > Force Update.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

BTW look like beautiful images of small birds.
Aubrey

afengler

Maybe uninstall it and reboot and then force a rescan of the affected files with Shift+Ctrl+F5 > Force Update.
Brilliant, Mario! That did the trick...
Thanks!

afengler

Quote from: Aubrey on March 14, 2021, 09:46:12 PM
BTW look like beautiful images of small birds.
Aubrey
Thank you - these are some of the 29 species of birds that I am photographing in my backyard during the lockdown here in California.
Alf

ubacher

Mario says:
QuoteYou are using the FactPictureViewer code pack which is several years out of date and not  supported for several years too.

I recall that Mario used to recommend that codec pack. I still use it. Is it obsolete/no longer needed?

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on March 16, 2021, 10:13:30 AM
I recall that Mario used to recommend that codec pack. I still use it. Is it obsolete/no longer needed?

This was years ago. The FPV codec packs were no longer maintained for several years. They still work. Until they don't - for some newer format variants.
AFAIK the developer was hired by Microsoft to work on the WIC codes (?)

The latest set of WIC codecs is based on LibRaw, though. Same IMatch uses as a fall-back.
Only Nikon still delivers a high-quality and up-to-date WIC codec for their camera models. Canon, Sony, Oly etc. should feel ashamed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on March 16, 2021, 10:20:08 AM
Only Nikon still delivers a high-quality and up-to-date WIC codec for their camera models. Canon, Sony, Oly etc. should feel ashamed.

I've just checked. Nikon updated their codec 1.31.1 on 9 March 2021.
The previous update, 1.31.0 was on 7th June 2017.

I'm going to try it out*.... though I've not had any issues since I removed FPV many months ago.

Aubrey.

*What happened to the adage: " if it ain't broke don't fix it " ?

Aubrey

Completed test with NEF codec. I've now removed it.
There were no apparent issues, however on checking I got the following message from WIC diagnostics:

WIC: Testing file 'H:\Processed Images\2021\2103 Mar\Processed\AOC_D500_210308_15207.NEF'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder'
      (GetThumbnail failed (88982F44 The bitmap codec does not support a thumbnail.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.

Preview: Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder'
      () 5568x3712 pixel in 78 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder'
      () 5568x3712 pixel in 79 ms.

I did a CRTL SHIFT F5 and thumbnail still appeared, however I was unhappy with the message in red.

I've removed codec, and now get the following, which is fine!

WIC: Testing file 'H:\Processed Images\2021\2103 Mar\Processed\AOC_D500_210308_15207.NEF'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder'
      () 640x424 pixel in 16 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder'
      () 5568x3712 pixel in 594 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder'
      () 5568x3712 pixel in 15 ms.

So the old adage still applies "If it ain't broke don't fix it" !

Mario

IMatch does not use the thumbnail anyway. RAW files might not contain a thumbnail or even a preview.
It prefers the embedded preview when large enough, else falls back to using the full RAW.
The warning about the thumbnail can be safely ignored.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator