May I ask for help with buddyfiles?: NEF, NRW, ARW and JPEG ---> DxO -> IMatch

Started by rekel, March 14, 2021, 05:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rekel

Dear all,

I used IMatch from 2009 ? to 2015  and try get around in IMatch, being totally overwhelmed and impressed. Something goes easy (like the new mapping!) other a bit less easy.

One of my urgent issues is setting the buddyfiles, I have spend quite some time in trying to get it going, I do understand the basics: https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rel_config.htm , I need some scripts. I also did some reading in the community, and help. It seems to be a bit too difficult for me.

Who wants to be my buddy to get me to solve my buddy file issue?

- camera's:
Nikon D780 plus my old D700: always NEF
Nikon P7000: NRW
Coolpix AW 120: JPEG
Sony RX 10  III: ARW, and JPEG
Plus PTGUI, scanners, etc: mainly JPEG, but also TIFF

In total around 200,000 photo's, from around 1970, plus a lot of scans of old slides (my wife scanned all my slides) and negatives (still many to go)

Work flow is simple, but makes it a bit complicated:
- already a lot of photos on my computer, many photo's in the past edited with Capture NX2 (with all stored in NEF, but I already have peace to work my best photo's again in DxO)

In practice: most of my photo's do have or will get a DxO buddy file.

Who already encountered the same? And already solved it...

Any help is welcome,

Yours,

Ruud Kampf
Schermerhorn, The Netherlands

bekesizl

Here are my rules.
You can find more in this thread: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=10996.msg78383#msg78383

DxO Sidecar (buddy) -> these are for the DxO Photolab sidecars
\.(cr3|cr2|nef|tif|tiff|jpg|jpeg|dng|nef|rw2|raf|srw|arw)$ <- put all the extensions here that are supposed to exist in your library
/^_*//
^{name}{ext}\.dop$

RAW (buddy+version) -> these are for my RAW files and their JPG buddies.
\.(cr3|cr2|nef|rw2|raf|srw|arw)$ <- put all the extensions here that are supposed to exist in your library
/^_*//
^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(jpg|jpeg|dng|tif|tiff|afphoto|psd|heic)$<- put all the extensions of derived files here that are supposed to be created.

You can go along this philosphy for your other files.

Having JPG masters will be the hard one (as you also have JPG buddies).
Here you have to have a clear naming philosophy and possibly rename some files, like:
xxyyzzee.jpg -> Master
xxyyzzee_DxO.jpg -> Buddy of the master with the same name root (and possibly version)

There is an example for this in the upper thread.

jch2103

The IMatch rules spelled out by @bekesizl should work with DxO. Let us know if you have any problems.
John

Mario

In the example of bekesizl I see something labeled Mylio XMP buddies.
Does Mylio not follow the standard naming convention for XMP files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

bekesizl

The question here was mostly about DxO compatiblity.
That and versioning of JPG and TIF files is handled in the rules.
The rules have descriptive comments, so you can choose what you want to use.

Mylio uses the non standard way of storing information for JPG/TIF/DNG files in XMP sidecars. It will change in the future (as stated by the developers on the forum), but as long as it is using these files, I want to have the sidecars treated as buddy files (even if I don't let Mylio write there data).
We have discussed it many times already and I want to use Mylio and IMatch side-by-side (and am using it also effectively). The peer-to-peer synchronization feature of beeing able to see every photo also on my phone without having to run a server somewhere is value enough for me for using Mylio, too.
As I use mostly RAW+JPG pairs, this non-standard way is not as disturbing there.