Versioning: Propagation should be triggered when new file is added

Started by ubacher, October 18, 2013, 05:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

When I generate a jpg file from a NEF file this file is automatically added by IMatch and then recognized as a
Version of the NEF file.
Is there any reason why it should not also propagate automatically the "data" from the Master to this added file?
As it is I have to manually trigger such a propagation.

BenAW

Quote from: ubacher on October 18, 2013, 05:57:20 PM
Is there any reason why it should not also propagate automatically the "data" from the Master to this added file?
A reason could be that you didn't select "Automatically propagate data from masters to versions".

ubacher

Automatic propagation is set. Help says that propagation occurs when the master file is changed.
Loading a file new does not trigger propagation. But since IM figures out that the added file is a version
I assume it would make sense to also do the propagation at the same time. Unless there is some problem
doing this which I don't see.

Ferdinand

I am sympathetic to the OP's request.  I discussed this sort of thing with Mario much earlier in the testing.  In short, propagation is a tricky thing, and the architecture associated with it has been designed to minimise problems.  It is only triggered when it is clearly needed.  You could claim that a new file is a guaranteed instance, but depending on how it's generated and what is being propagated that's not always the case. 

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the same issue in production.  It would be theoretically possible to run a script when a file is ingested that finds the master and manually triggers propagation, but at the moment I can't see a way to do this in a script.  Mario - have I missed something and, if not, are you planning a scripting method for triggering propagation?  Would a feature request be appropriate?

ubacher

Some more thoughts on this:

There is only one condition I can see where propagation is automatic: Changing Categories or flags on a master file provided
the version already exists.

If I add a version -> have to go to the master to trigger a propagation ( How often  I will forget doing this!)
If I add an IPTC data value on the master  I have to trigger a metadata write-back to get propagation.

In IM3 I just triggered a script which did the propagation for me. So you will forgive me if I think Versioning has
not brought me much benefit.

Richard

QuoteIn IM3 I just triggered a script which did the propagation for me

I can not think of any reason why the same can not be done in IMatch 5 and probably done better since IMatch 5 has more tools.

Ferdinand

Quote from: ubacher on October 21, 2013, 05:44:01 PM
There is only one condition I can see where propagation is automatic: Changing Categories or flags on a master file provided the version already exists.
If I add an IPTC data value on the master  I have to trigger a metadata write-back to get propagation.

From the help file:  "Propagation of IMatch-internal attributes (pins, dots, flags) is immediately carried out when propagation is enabled. Propagation of metadata like IPTC or XMP is performed when IMatch writes the metadata of the master file. If you enable automatic write-back, this is done automatically. Otherwise IMatch propagates values from the master to its versions when you write-back the master file.

Rating and Label are an exception. Although these are actually XMP metadata fields, IMatch automatically propagates these frequently used attributes whenever you change them, not only when the data is written to the file.

When you set up versioning and propagation, IMatch performs the propagation when you modify the master file.
"

Quote from: Richard on October 21, 2013, 08:45:20 PM
QuoteIn IM3 I just triggered a script which did the propagation for me

I can not think of any reason why the same can not be done in IMatch 5 and probably done better since IMatch 5 has more tools.

Except that the scripting methods to do so have not been written yet, as far as I can see.

ubacher

If I create the versions first and then add/modify the master the propagation is automatic. Fine so.
If I create the version after I changed the master then I will have to remember to trigger the propagation.
( By going to the master file(s) an trigger from it/them.  Being able to trigger the propagation from the version
would be a small improvement.)

The script I have in IM3 looked for the master based on my naming convention and copied the wanted data from it.
I believe there is a more generic script available for IM3.

I can see the following script for IM5 becoming desirable:
Go thru all files in the folder. For each version find the master and if needed trigger a propagation.
Or: select all masters and trigger a propagation.

Ferdinand

Quote from: ubacher on October 22, 2013, 11:07:34 PM
The script I have in IM3 looked for the master based on my naming convention and copied the wanted data from it.
I believe there is a more generic script available for IM3.

Perhaps this is my image synchronisation script.   Using this script it was possible just to propagate to the selected versions rather than to all versions.  As far as I can see this won't be possible in IMatch 5.  Is this a problem?  It means that versions that don't need to be touched will be, but also it will occur in the background so you won't notice it.  I am still not inclined to port my script to IMatch 5.

Quote from: ubacher on October 22, 2013, 11:07:34 PM
I can see the following script for IM5 becoming desirable:
Go thru all files in the folder. For each version find the master and if needed trigger a propagation.
Or: select all masters and trigger a propagation.

First approach is pretty easy to write, once we have the scripting methods to trigger propagation.  The second can be done now from the menu or the right click menu or F4,P.

ubacher

No need to port any script.
I am quite sure that this request to propagate on loading will come up again and again
so that eventually Mario will see what he can do and/or someone will write a script.
We can live with it as is.

Lets leave this topic for now.

Mario

Detection of new versions has been improved for 5.1.14.
You now can also enable an option to automatically propagate data from the master to versions at ingest time (Edit > Preferences > Background Processing).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook