Moving 50.000 pics, best way to do?

Started by Gerd, October 19, 2013, 06:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Hi,

I have replaced my 650 GB HD in my notebook with a 1 TB SSHD (Solid-State-Hybrid-Disk, Seagate Momentus XT - ST1000LM014). This speed-up my notebook with factor 2 till 4.
Starting my big IM5-database with the old disk took 4 min, now it's the half, 2 min. Before questions will come-up: I transfered the complete 650GB with a hd-clone-pgm sector by sector, made the extra space as own partition and merged both to one.... after replacing old hd with new SSHD, my notebook booted without any problems and all programs are working without any new installation (LR, PS CS6, IM5 ...).

Due to the extra space I have, I'm transferring back 50.000 pics from my external HD.

The directory-structure is the same, only the the drive-letter changes from (original) H: to C:.

I have two options:
1. create new IM5-database, read-in the pics and import the earlier exportet IM5-categories (incl. file-names)
2. make a copy from my existing IM5-database, working with the pics on H:, but here 140.000 pics and relocate them to C: ...

What is the best and time saving way?
_______
Regards
Gerd

Ted

Quote from: Gerd on October 19, 2013, 06:32:51 PM
Hi,

I have replaced my 650 GB HD in my notebook with a 1 TB SSHD (Solid-State-Hybrid-Disk, Seagate Momentus XT - ST1000LM014). This speed-up my notebook with factor 2 till 4.
Starting my big IM5-database with the old disk took 4 min, now it's the half, 2 min. Before questions will come-up: I transfered the complete 650GB with a hd-clone-pgm sector by sector, made the extra space as own partition and merged both to one.... after replacing old hd with new SSHD, my notebook booted without any problems and all programs are working without any new installation (LR, PS CS6, IM5 ...).

Due to the extra space I have, I'm transferring back 50.000 pics from my external HD.

The directory-structure is the same, only the the drive-letter changes from (original) H: to C:.

I have two options:
1. create new IM5-database, read-in the pics and import the earlier exportet IM5-categories (incl. file-names)
2. make a copy from my existing IM5-database, working with the pics on H:, but here 140.000 pics and relocate them to C: ...

What is the best and time saving way?
If you had the photos on drive C and drive H in your old IM5 database, you could copy drive H to drive C (new directory) and do a relocate.  I have just done a relocate in IM5 and it seems to work.
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

BenAW

I work with 2 computers and copy images and dbases between them.
Just a "relocate" works fine for me.

Gerd

Tanks for your answers, I'll try with relocate!
_______
Regards
Gerd

ianrr

I find "fastcopy" for windows quite good for copying many files, then relocate.

Gerd

Hi ianrr,

I have a license for "Allway Sync" ...  ;)
_______
Regards
Gerd

ianrr

Hi Gerd, just had a play with it, looks pretty good so far !!,  Thanks  Ian