[Imatch 2021] Imatch displays jpg:s in portrait orientation as landscape

Started by Joakimst, August 26, 2021, 12:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joakimst

Hi,

I have a problem that when I export my edited raw images, shot in portrait mode, from lightroom, they are displayed with a 90 degrees rotation in Imatch. The original raw file is however displayed correctly. In every other application (that I've tried to open the image in) the jpg is displayed correctly though. If I use the "virtually rotate" function in Imatch the jpg is displayed correctly in Imatch but if I then try to open the image in any other application the image is rotated 90 degrees. And if I then rotate the image in the other application (i.e. windows photo) it is then displayed incorrectly in Imatch again.

This only happens to images shot in portrait orientation. Images shot in landscape orientation are displayed correctly. Is there a setting I'm unaware of or is this a bug?

If it matters my camera is a Nikon Z6i.

Mario

IMatch respects the EXIF orientation information in the image.
When you look at the orientation in the Metadata Panel (use the "Browser" layout and search for orientation), what does it show?

Maybe Lr copied the EXIF data unmodified from the RAW, including the original orientation info (which does not match the JPEG anymore?)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Joakimst

Thanks for the reply!

I've done some more testing and I need to take back my initial comment because I had identified the wrong problem. I still have a problem though.

It turns out lightroom for some reason is not including the exif orientation tag when exporting images. An explanation is given here, though I don't think I fully understand why though: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/why-does-lr-classic-not-set-exif-orientation-tag-even-removes-it/m-p/10762929#M166156

If I open the exported jpg in windows photo viewer the image is displayed correctly in portrait orientation. The problem is that when the jpg is imported into Imatch the exif orientation tag ("270 degrees CW") is propagated from the raw file. If I change the exif orientation of the jpg to "Normal (Horizontal)" the raw and jpg files are displayed correctly in Imatch and in other applications. However if I do any changes like adding keywords and writing metadata to the raw file the exif orientation tag is changed back and the image is displayed incorrectly again.

However in the file version settings about what to propagate I haven't checked any boxes about exif data. And it seems like much more is propagated than the orientation tag.

The propagate boxes I have checked are:
Attributes
Bookmarks
Flag
Dot
Pins
Rating
Label
XMP without Camera Raw data
Don't copy XMP Regions
Classic IPTC Data

JohnZeman

Assuming you're using file relations for your raw and jpg files (like I am) I've learned to check the box to not copy orientation from my raw masters to my jpg versions.  Before I did that I had the same problem as you, since changing it to not copy orientation everything has been fine.

thrinn

If the orientation is indeed set through your File Relation versioning rule, and if this is the reason for the wrong orientation, you might want to check the "Don't copy XMP orientation" option. I do not have your setup, so I can only guess, but it sounds that this option might help in your specific case.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Stefanjan

Coincidentally I have just been through rotating a load of portrait .RW2 shots taken on my Panasonic TZ200 (ZS200).

Sounds like this might be related to the original issue in this thread so I have taken a number of test shots.

I copied these in Windows with a folder open in IMatch. Made no changes at all in any applciation. All the portrait shots are incorrectly rotated to the right in IMatch, the EXIF is showing "Rotate 270 CW". The landscape shots are correct "Horizontal Normal".

I have viewed the same folder in FastRawViewer, ON1, Dark Table and DXO Photolab 4. All show the correct rotation for portrait images in the test folder from my Panasonic.

Did the same test with my Canon 80D and the .CR2 files are displayed correctly in IMatch

Incidentally I also noticed that if I rotate one of the incorrectly rotated images to the left and then to the right it ends up upside down rather than the original position.

Joakimst

Quote from: thrinn on August 26, 2021, 05:04:14 PM
If the orientation is indeed set through your File Relation versioning rule, and if this is the reason for the wrong orientation, you might want to check the "Don't copy XMP orientation" option. I do not have your setup, so I can only guess, but it sounds that this option might help in your specific case.

This worked for new files. Thanks! I guess old files need to be exported and imported again. To refresh relations or any of the rescan options do not solve it at least.

I'm still confused though why Exif data get propagated from the raw file to the jpg file when I write back metadata to the raw file after i.e. adding a keyword. I've attached a screen shot of the exif data in the original jpg and two screen shots of the exif data in the jpg after I've written back metadata to the raw file. Is it me not understanding how versioning is supposed to work or could I have done some settings elsewhere that I'm unaware of? I see that I have set jpg files as buddy files as well as versioning - could that be an explanation?

JohnZeman

Quote from: Joakimst on August 27, 2021, 08:53:20 PM
This worked for new files. Thanks! I guess old files need to be exported and imported again. To refresh relations or any of the rescan options do not solve it at least.

You shouldn't need to re-export your JPGs again, just manually change the orientation of them to Horizontal (normal) with IMatch.

For what it's worth here is what I propagate from my master raws to my JPG versions and it works well for me with both landscape and portrait images.

Categories