Snap to closest gps point

Started by frlindla, September 26, 2021, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

I have a Nikon z6 with no gps. I also have an iphone with gps. During this weekend I used both on a trip I had. I tried to use my phone regulary to have several known gps points. Is it possible to snap my nef-files to the closest known gps point?

Mario

QuoteI tried to use my phone regulary to have several known gps points

When you export the iPhone track log in the standard GPX format, you can it import in IMatch and apply the GPS coordinates to the NEF files, based on the file date and time.
Apple might not provide such a functionality directly, but then there are surely apps which do.

See GPX Track Log Import for detailed information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

If you don't have a GPX log, you can also copy the coordinates from individual iPhone photos to your Z6 photos. But having a GPS log means that you can assign locations to photos via IMatch in one action. Much easier, although you'll need to copy the GPX file to the computer where you use IMatch.
John

JohnZeman

Quote from: jch2103 on September 26, 2021, 09:43:27 PM
But having a GPS log means that you can assign locations to photos via IMatch in one action.

That's exactly how I do it.

On my iPhone I have an app called Geotag Photos that records a GPS tracklog as I travel taking photos.  Then when I've finished traveling I tell the app I'm done and the app automatically uploads the GPS tracklog to my Dropbox account which puts it in my computer.

On the PC I open IMatch, select the photo(s) I want to geocode, then in the Map Panel I load the GPS tracklog and tell IMatch to geocode the photos.

All done and it works a treat for all of my cameras.

jch2103

Same here, except I use my Garmin sports watch, which has the advantages that I'm always wearing it and also seems to be generally more accurate than my smartphone. There's even more benefit if more than one camera has been used.
John

digedag

Quote from: frlindla on September 26, 2021, 08:29:11 PM
I have a Nikon z6 with no gps. I also have an iphone with gps. [...] Is it possible to snap my nef-files to the closest known gps point?

Do you know the Berlin company "foolography" with their unleashed products (www.foolography.com/products/unleashed/#geotagging) ? This might be a simple solution for you.

I bought my unleashed back in 2010 for my Nikon D300 to transfer GPS data directly to the camera from my Holux GPS tracker immediately upon release. Modern unleashed products can also get their data from smartphones and today can even be controlled remotely with them. Geotagging is now just a "byproduct" so to speak.

Since I don't use a smartphone, I still use the same device on my D500 today. The modfication by foolography, 10 years after my purchase, was done for very little money!
PS.: There are no business relations between foolography and me. I am simply a satisfied customer!