How to make a category out of a hierarchical keyword

Started by voronwe, September 28, 2021, 03:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voronwe

Hi

I'm storing hierarchical keywords in my images.
e.g.
Season|Spring
Season|Summer

Person|Family|A
Person|Family|B
Person|Company|C

I can access the all by using the @Keyword-Category and I see there the hierarchical structure

Now I want to make a category, which e.g. contains only "Person"
I make this category, go to "Edit Formula..." -> "Categories"  and add "@Keywords|Person"

With this one I see all files which contains the Keyword "Person", but there is no further hierarchical structure.

Is there a way to show the hierachical structure of a subset of keywords?

Mario

A category cannot create child categories or somehow group files by another criteria, if this is what you trying to do?
The formula controls the contents of the category, all the files it virtually contains.

1. Why do you want to replicate the Persons @Keywords category hierarchy elsewhere?
This is pretty uncommon and would create redundancy, which is not good in this context.

2. Maybe setup the structure manually and use Alias categories or formulas?

3. Maybe try a data-driven category on the File.Categories variable and use only Persons and let the data-driven category detect the hierarchy?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

voronwe

Quote from: Mario on September 28, 2021, 03:55:58 PM
A category cannot create child categories or somehow group files by another criteria, if this is what you trying to do?
The formula controls the contents of the category, all the files it virtually contains.

1. Why do you want to replicate the Persons @Keywords category hierarchy elsewhere?
This is pretty uncommon and would create redundancy, which is not good in this context.

2. Maybe setup the structure manually and use Alias categories or formulas?

3. Maybe try a data-driven category on the File.Categories variable and use only Persons and let the data-driven category detect the hierarchy?

The reason why I want to do this is to have a shortcut.  It should not replicate the data, it is only to go there faster.

I will try this with the data-driven category later. Setting it up manually would not make sense.

Mario

QuoteThe reason why I want to do this is to have a shortcut.  It should not replicate the data, it is only to go there faster.

Then a data-driven or formula-based category will not help anyway.
You cannot assign files manually to data-driven categories or formula-based categories.

I recommend you use additional tabs in the Category Panel to quickly access sections of your category hierarchy. And Favorites. Any many Alias categories.
Or use the Keywords panel, which is the fastest way to add keywords to files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

I still not get it, what you want.

For families I have e.g. some metadata-templates.
Like, for peter, and then I have only to click one favourite-butten (what I created once).

A push on Peter gives me a keyword:

66 Privat|Familie|Miller|Miller-Johansson Peter

And I did also create some alias-Categories, what this keyword refelects.

Means, one button creates a new keyword and in the "peter-alias-category" there is one (or more) image more.

I have created such things, to speed up time, for several people and with several keywords (or/and metadata).

(btw: you can also create such metadata-templates with some gps-stuff for towns, where your family lives, very convenient)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

thrinn

Quote from: voronwe on September 28, 2021, 04:31:26 PM
The reason why I want to do this is to have a shortcut.  It should not replicate the data, it is only to go there faster.
What exactly do you mean with "to go there faster"? At least in the Categories View you could add @Keywords|Person to the Bookmarks at the bottom of the view.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

voronwe

Quote from: thrinn on September 28, 2021, 05:34:08 PM
Quote from: voronwe on September 28, 2021, 04:31:26 PM
What exactly do you mean with "to go there faster"? At least in the Categories View you could add @Keywords|Person to the Bookmarks at the bottom of the view.

Thanks that does it. Sometimes you do not see the obvious thing

Mario

Note that you can also put different sections of your category hierarchy (even different sections of your persons hierarchy) in to separate tabs in the Category Panel (I mentioned that above):

Working with Additional Category Tabs

This makes it very efficient to work with deep category hierarchies.

Category Favorites can not only be used to assign/un-assign files to categories but to jump to that category quickly.

And of course typing Person into the Keywords Panel input field will show all keywords starting with that keyword - so no jumping around in the category tree or searching at all. In most usage scenarios using the Keywords Panel to add/edit keywords is far more efficient than using @Keywords directly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator