Transfer Database to Another PC?

Started by nwboater, November 25, 2021, 01:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwboater

My ancient I7 wont run Imatch. I have a new Dell desktop ordered that should be here late next month. In the meantime I would like to set up a demo of Imatch on my wife's newer PC. I would set up Imatch to link to the photos on my old I7 over our home network.

The idea is that I could use this time period to do some learning and setup of Imatch. Then when my new Dell arrives I would move Imatch to it as well as all the photos, etc that are presently on the I7.

I am wondering if a lot of the work I would have done in setting everything up on my wife's PC can be transferred to my new Dell? Is my plan a valid approach?

Thanks,
Rod

Mario

We have discussed this many times here in the community. Google for related topics for additional info.

Make a database backup.
Use Pack & Go to copy database and settings.
If you use another user name on the new computer, read User Name Alias
Use Relocate to change the location of your folders to access them over the network, and after moving them to the new PC, use relocate again to tell IMatch that the files are no longer on the network but on another PC.
See Off-line Folders and Files for info about relocating.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nwboater

Thanks very much Mario. Guess I should have done some searching before posting. Sorry about that.

Very glad to know though that it is realistic to do it.