Rename master and body files

Started by frankdarwin, January 06, 2022, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

In one folder I have files on the same topic. There are files with masters and body files, but also files where there is only master or body.
I want to rename the files in chronologically ascending order.
When I display all body files (JPG) and want to rename them, I get for some files the message that there is a master for this file and I should rename it.
Therefore I renamed all master files first.  But now I have the problem that I can't rename the body files (JPG) in chronological order anymore, because I can't put them clearly into the already renamed pairs of master and body files.

Example:

There are the following files

a1.nef-a1.jpg, a4.nef-a4.jpg, a6.nef-a6.jpg
a2.jpg, a3.jpg
a5.nef

Does anyone have an idea how I can get this solved?

Mario

When you rename the master, the buddy file will be renamed to match automatically.
You usually never have a need to break things and rename buddy files directly. This is why you get the warning.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

I'm wondering if he doesn't mean masters and versions instead of masters and buddy files?

Mario

Versions are not renamed when the master is renamed.
Since he gets the warning in the Renamer, he has a buddy file setup. But he seems to rename a mix of masters, buddy files and files without any relation to any other file.
This cannot be solved automatically and requires some planning.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Quote from: frankdarwin on January 06, 2022, 10:11:09 PM
I want to rename the files in chronologically ascending order.
[...]
a1.nef-a1.jpg, a4.nef-a4.jpg, a6.nef-a6.jpg
a2.jpg, a3.jpg
a5.nef
Does anyone have an idea how I can get this solved?
To answer your question first: I think it should work if you just sort the files (before renaming anything) to your wishes and the use the "Hide buddy files" filter in the filter panel. Assuming that in your example a1, a4, a6 are pairs of master and buddy files while a2 and a3 are "lonely" JPGs and a5 a "lonely" RAW, the filter should hide only a1.jpg, a4.jpg, a6.jpg. So all files that are still visible should either be masters (with hidden buddies) or single files. Then rename them. a1.jpg, a4.jpg, a6.jpg will be renamed in the background if you rename the corresponding masters.

For explanation: A JPG is not automatically a "buddy file". It is only a buddy file if it is a match for an existing File Relations rule of type "Buddy". So, if there is no a2.nef file (and I assume that is what you wanted to describe), a2.jpg is no buddy file - just a single JPG.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

If you rename master and buddy files separately, you can break the buddy relation.
You can see the buddy files for the currently selected file via this variable: {File.BuddyFiles}  Just copy & paste it into the VarToy app.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator