Lens not available

Started by frankdarwin, January 24, 2022, 09:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

I have photos taken with a Panasonic DMC-FZ2000.
Some RAW files (.RW2) are displayed distorted in the file window and in the viewer (see attachment "RAW with distortion.jpg".
In the metadata (Camera Data) the lens is shown as not available (see attachment "Camera Data.jpg". In my shots with the Nicon, the lens is recognized.
What is the reason for this?
Does IM not recognize the Panasonic?
What can I do?

Mario

1. The WIC codec shows your images as they are - without applying any artificial lens correction. This is how the real image looks and how it was recorded by your camera.
If you want to apply lens-specific and vendor-specific lens correction, I recommend you use a RAW processing software which does all the magic and lens-decoding and custom lens profiles to fix the apparently quite bad lens distortion in software. Save the result as a standard image format like TIFF or DNG or JPG and IMatch will happily use it.
If you don't know about how software today is used to fix lens problems, I recommend some of the dedicated photography web sites which explain about this.

Your camera vendor should provide a WIC codec which deals with this. But they give a shit. Not a problem I can solve. Ask Panasonic and Microsoft for support and advice. You gave them money, after all.

2. ExifTool knows hundreds of lenses but not all.
Provide sample files, lens data from your package etc. to the ExifTool community so Phil can add support for it.
If you have questions, ask your lens vendor to provide you with all necessary info. You have bought one of their lenses, they should provide you with full info, including how the camera encodes the lens data in your image files. There is no standard and every lens vendor does proprietary things. I have explained that many times over the years. The name of your lens is not encoded as readable text. Instead it is encoded in some proprietary schema in up to four to 8 EXIF tags. ExifTool needs to maintain vast tables of reverse-engineered lens data to figure out a "name" for the lens based on all the numerical data. Vendors often use the same numbers for different lenses, different vendors use the same numbers for different lenses. A true mess.

Your lens vendor did not contact ExifTool and told them about your lens and how to decode your lens information. Not a problem I can solve. Ask Panasonic for advice and support. You gave them money, after all.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook