Writing metadata fails

Started by frankdarwin, February 09, 2022, 08:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

I am in despair!
I have 26 files for which the meta data must be written.
All of them are .NEF files.

The last thing I did with these files was assign people.
For each of these .NEF files there is also a .JPG file. The people have been added to the .JPG files. However, for the .JPG files, there is no need to write metadata.
I write the metadata back and see no files in the "Pending Metadta..." collection afterwards.

After that I run a database diagnostic. the database diagnosis does not show any errors.

And , oh miracle, all 26 files written before are again in the collection "Pending Metadata...".

I can repeat this game with always the same result.

Even a restart of IMatach does not change this situation.

What is going wrong?

jch2103

What does the pencil say if you hover over it?

You can run the Metadata Analyst on one or more of the NEFS; it may provide useful information.
John

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Quote from: jch2103 on February 09, 2022, 09:22:37 PM
What does the pencil say if you hover over it?

You can run the Metadata Analyst on one or more of the NEFS; it may provide useful information.

All images show the same information (see attachment).

Mario

This is caused by you adding face annotations.
The person needs to be added to the XMP record in the file.

Open the ExifTool output panel.
Write-back.
Check the panel for error messages or warnings.

Do you use versioning?
If so, is the NEF a master or a version?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Quote from: Mario on February 10, 2022, 10:36:30 AM
Do you use versioning?
If so, is the NEF a master or a version?

Yes, I use versioning.
The .NEF file is master.

I have written back the metadata of 1 file.
The metadata was written, but after starting the database diagnostics, the file written back was back in the Pending Metadata collection.
The output of the Exiftool is in the attachment (ExifTool Output.txt).

I ran the Metadata Analyst for this 1 file. The log and a summary are also in the appendix.

Mario

This NEF file has an embedded XMP record, which IMatch does not update.
So you now have two XMP records for the file (embedded, sidecar file) which is the reason for the problem.
Remove the embedded XMP record (ExifTool Command Processor has a preset for that) and all will be well.

If you did read my suggested topic (Metadata Pitfalls) you will now about this problem: Multiple XMP Records
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frankdarwin

I read your recommendation about "Metadata Pitfalls" and tried to solve the problem with the "ExifTool Command Processor".
Unfortunately I did not find a suitable preset.
ExifTool shows me the presets as described in the attachment "ExifTool.jpg". I tried the setting "Alle Metadaten löschen" (attachment "Alle Metadaten löschen"). But this preset is the same as "Alle Metadaten anzeigen".
I don't remember if I changed the preferences at some point.
So I have tested the example 3 from the ExifTool documentation

overwrite_original_in_place
-all=
{Files},

With the following result:

Error: File not found - D:/Photoarchives/Productive/Vacation/Denmark/2014/Blockhus/Vacation Denmark 2014-004.NEF
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

But the file exists (attachment "Datei im Windows Explorer.jpg").

I did this test with a copy of the database and a copy of the original data on another computer. Therefore all files are on drive "D" and not on drive "L" as described before.

Where am I making a mistake?
Is the example 3 from the ExifTool description not the right one?

I would be very grateful for further help!

digedag

Quote from: Mario on February 11, 2022, 08:07:21 PM
Remove the embedded XMP record (ExifTool Command Processor has a preset for that) and all will be well.

In German the preset is called: "XMP-Metadaten löschen".

[GERMAN] Die Vorlage im ExifTool Kommandoprozessor nennt sich auf Deutsch "XMP-Metadaten löschen".

frankdarwin

Quote from: digedag on February 11, 2022, 11:49:18 PM
Quote from: Mario on February 11, 2022, 08:07:21 PM

In German the preset is called: "XMP-Metadaten löschen".

[GERMAN] Die Vorlage im ExifTool Kommandoprozessor nennt sich auf Deutsch "XMP-Metadaten löschen".

Thanks!