Propagate GPS coordinates

Started by frankdarwin, February 12, 2022, 09:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

I use versioning and want to propagate the GPS coordinates of the master (.NEF) to the versions.
After studying the chapter "Configuring File Relations" I set up the file relations as described in the attachment "Preferences.jpg".
But this does not work as I thought it would.
When I change the GPS data in the master, this change is not transferred to the versions. Not even after I write back the metadata of the master.
The other settings to transfer like annotations or pins work.
Have I (once again) not understood the help correctly, or where is my error?

jch2103

I'm not sure if 'XMP Locations' includes GPS coordinates, as opposed to descriptions of Country, State, etc.

Also see https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/index.html#rel_versions.htm#a_prop?dl=h-35.
John

digedag

Quote from: frankdarwin on February 12, 2022, 09:43:27 PM
I use versioning and want to propagate the GPS coordinates of the master (.NEF) to the versions.
After studying the chapter "Configuring File Relations" I set up the file relations as described in the attachment "Preferences.jpg".
But this does not work as I thought it would.

It seems that if only "XMP location data" is marked, only the location data (city, town, ISO country code, country, state: e.g. "Kronberg im Taunus", "Schönberg", "DEU", "Deutschland", "Hessen") is copied.

Probably you also have to mark "EXIF GPS data" to transfer the Exif coordinates to the version.

However, I am surprised that your versions do not contain GPS data. As soon as you create a JPG (or TIFF, or ...) from your NEF file in a RAW developer, the Exif coordinates are normally transferred directly.
Or maybe you added the GPS data to the NEF file AFTER development. Who knows ...?

Good luck
Bernhard

frankdarwin

Probably you also have to mark "EXIF GPS data" to transfer the Exif coordinates to the version.

Hello Bernhard,
thanks for the tip! I have additionally marked EXIF GPS data.
Now it works.

However, I am surprised that your versions do not contain GPS data. As soon as you create a JPG (or TIFF, or ...) from your NEF file in a RAW developer, the Exif coordinates are normally transferred directly.
Or maybe you added the GPS data to the NEF file AFTER development. Who knows ...?

I have many photos (.NEF) without GPS coordinates.
Sometimes the reception of GPS signals was not possible, sometimes I turned off the GPS receiver of the camera (save power). Therefore I have entered the coordinates afterwards.

digedag