Sharing categories over different databases

Started by borgerth, February 25, 2022, 02:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borgerth

Hi There
Would anyone know if it is possible (and how to do it if it is) to share categories over a range on different databases?
Example:
I have one database (DB1) with a few categories with various child categories each. These categories have already been populated with the relevant files,
I have created a new database (DB2) and whish to use the same categories/child categories structure.
DB2 will have some files already catalogued in DB1, and other files not catalogued in DB1.
Basically, I want to find a way to have the files already catalogued and categorised in DB1 to go to their respective original category when adding them to DB2, and use the same category structure to categorise the new files added to DB2 which are not in DB1.
The categories in question are not keywords as they only exist to facilitate the organisation of a project, and it doesn't make sense to have them as standard IPTC keywords. I do have keywords as well which will eventually be imbedded in the file for when they go out into the world. Having these categories mixed up with the standard keywords doesn't make sense.
I've searched for answers but can only find info on how to search, export/import, etc. files inside categories which is not exactly what I want to do.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Arnold

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

borgerth

Thanks Mario
Just checked it, very useful, success to a certain degree.
Managed to replicate the Category hierarchy on 2 different databases, also managed to have some file assignments imported but still have one issue to resolve.
When trying to import categories and file assignments, the import app says that the folder with the relevant files could not be found on the target database (the drive in question is definitively plugged in). The problem is that the folder in question has lots of very large files (188 to be precise) mostly ranging from  300MB to 500MB, with quite a few over 1GB. It took me 2 full days to import them all into a single database, had to leave the computer running overnight over 2 consecutive days in order to do it. It must be a way to have only the ones assigned to the categories shared by both databases imported into the target database without having to go over the whole process again.
I don't need the whole content of the big folder indexed by the target database, only the files assigned to the shared categories.
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Arnold

Mario

I don't understand.
Tip: Hit <Return> once in a while to add new paragraphs. Your posts are a wall of text on my smart phone  ;)

A file with 1GB means nothing for IMatch. It depends on the file format how long it will take to process. 1 1GB TIFF file will take a few seconds to load and process.
You can see the execution times for each step in the log file.

QuoteWhen trying to import categories and file assignments, the import app says that the folder with the relevant files could not be found on the target database (the drive in question is definitively plugged in).

This would be unusual. It's just a text comparison and media-id comparison. It checks if the folder path in the IMCS file can be found in the target database and if the media-id of the folder is the same.
I don't recall any failure reports about this. This just never fails, unless something is fishy between your databases.
Again, the log file (from the session with the category import) would be helpful. Run the log in debug mode while you test this (see log file) for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

borgerth

Hi Mario
I'm trying it again, and the target database is indexing all 188 files, not only the ones in the shared categories. And it is taking forever again.
I'll attached the log file from earlier today, as well as a screenshot whit what is happening now as the database does the 188 file indexing (which I actually don't need ....)
And sorry for the messy text, I'm adding paragraphs now ...

Mario

This log file shows an IMatch start, nothing more.
IMatch complains that it was not property shut-down the last time. Did you shut it down in the Task Manager?

Please repeat the test and let IMatch index some files. Then go to Help > Support > Copy Log file...

Note: In 95% of all "IMatch is slow" support tickets, the problem is the virus checker installed on the user's computer.
Make sure you have made an exception in your virus checker if you use something other that Windows Defender.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

borgerth

Thanks Mario
IMatch froze and stop responding, I had to close it via task manager.
I'll follow your Antivirus (Sophos) software advice over the weekend (it's already 7:30 pm in London) and let you know.
Thanks again for your help
Arnold

Mario

Sophos is known for (silently) blocking applications.
Please refer to IMPORTANT: Virus Checkers for related info.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator