Pop-down menus from event timeline hidden unless large timeline display

Started by ubacher, March 21, 2022, 07:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

The various menus which open from the event timeline options hide behind
the event window. (screenshot of event filter as example).
To use these one has to have the timeline wide enough to see the whole menu-window.
In practice this means one needs to maximize the timeline for this.

Is this just on my laptop or does everyone have the same behavior?

Mario

This behavior is by design. All elements in the Timeline View (sans the File Window), including this modal overlay, "live" inside a browser panel.
The contents of the timeline view cannot show on top of other screen elements or overlap file windows.

By the looks of it you run a 1024 x 768? screen with large fonts. This is very, very little screen height you allow for the timeline.
Looks like maybe 400 to 500 pixels?

Use the scroll wheel to scroll the modal up and down. This allows you to see the results and use the buttons.
Or just hit <F11> before to make the time view bigger so the modal fits.

Such a small notebook monitor is not really ideal for this type of application.
Although I anticipate small monitors, there are limits of what can be done.

The timeline is zoomable, but for modals and dialogs this only makes so much sense. If they become unreadable or the controls unclickable, the limit is reached.

But, since this is IMatch, you can globally scale app app panels / views via Edit > Preferences > App Panel Scale.
Since you seem to use a high-DPI scale setting in combination with larger fonts, this might allow you to reduce the scale by -4 or more, while the fonts are still readable.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I am using a 4k monitor! Scale 225%

QuoteUse the scroll wheel to scroll the modal up and down. This allows you to see the results and use the buttons.

I experimented with different scale factors. With lower factors the scrolling worked and after I returned to 225% it works now!
So there was some setting stuck.

However: the filter window does not let me scroll all the way to the bottom. (screenshot)

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on March 22, 2022, 07:54:20 AM
I am using a 4k monitor! Scale 225%

So this "reduces" the display height about 960 pixels.

Quote from: ubacher on March 22, 2022, 07:54:20 AM
However: the filter window does not let me scroll all the way to the bottom. (screenshot)

These are the limits I've talked about.
You reduce the timeline height to a minimum on a screen with 225% scaling, leaving maybe 300 or 400 pixels to stuff all the user interface elements into. Will not work in all cases.
Use app scaling or make the timeline view bigger. That's what the maximize is for. Just one press of <F11>.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

QuoteJust one press of <F11>.

If it were just that one press. But, as I posted in a feature request, it means pressing f11 again
each time you click on an event. (My request was that double clicking would minimize the timeline display
so that the event would display.)