Question about child category

Started by Carbo69, May 16, 2022, 09:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbo69

Hello,

I need some explanations on category hierarchy.

I've done the following actions:
- I've created a new category "autor" showing files without creator (formula "@MetadataTag[creator,novalue]")
- in the category tree, it's correctly displayed: autor (73678).
- when I click on it, the files are displayed
- If I go to the hierarchy display option and select "show only directly assigned files", my files are no longer displayed. Could you explain why ?
- I create a child category
- Now the tree shows:
   - autor (0/73678)
   -- new category (0)
- I would have expected:
   - autor (73678)
   -- new category(0)

Thanks !

Mario

QuoteIf I go to the hierarchy display option and select "show only directly assigned files", my files are no longer displayed. Could you explain why ?

Directly assigned files means files directly assigned by the user.
Not files virtually assigned to a category via a formula or a data-driven child category.

Don't mix data-driven categories with normal categories. How did you create a child category for a data-driven category? This is impossible.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carbo69

My parent category is not a data driven category but a formula based category ;)

Mario

I also recommend to not mix formula-based and other categories.
Formula-based categories should be sealed (see The Category Properties Tab) to prevent accidental assignments of additional files (which leads to often hard to figure-out results), and should not have child categories either.
Remember that a category always contains all files assigned to it's child categories, recursively. Depending on what you do, mixing categories that way may lead to confusing results.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook