Extend MP3 layout to include other audio formats (like WAV)

Started by Darius1968, June 09, 2022, 11:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

As is, the MP3 layout that ships with IMatch only considers metadata for MP3 files, ignoring WAV files that do have relevant metadata.  Is there a layout that considers MP3 files, as well as WAV files (and other audio/video formats too)? 

I thought about asking this question, considering that the IMatch-filtering offers - via File Formats - the ability to filter for MP3s, but also for other audio/video formats at the same time as well. 

Mario

MP3 metadata is pretty much standardized (although it exists in many different flavors, which makes things a bit difficult).
As far as I know, WAV has no standardized metadata at all. Maybe some technical info in the RIFF header or something.

All metadata IMatch has imported for your audio and other files is visible in the Metadata Panel when you switch to Browser mode.
Just add the variables for the tags you want to see in your custom File Window layout to your layout. Which tags depends on the file format and what kind of tags it supports.
Note: IMatch creates XMP data also for .wav files (and other files), in XMP sidecar files. This allows you to standardize the info you enter and to use it across all file formats.

IMatch combines video and audio files into two classes (Video/Audio formats in the File Format filter). MP3 is treated separately, due to its importance.
You can easily filter for wav in the the search bar using .wav - same for other formats.
You can also use a metadata value filter based on the photools.com::IMatch\101200\file.ext tag.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

I know that I can use the RIFF tags (relevant to WAV files) for display of information in a file window layout.  But, how do I do it so that it is incorporated in the MP3 layout, so that there is no need to switch to some other layout, if I want to know "right-off-the-bat", from the tabular list without having to select a WAV file to make available the data in Metadata Panel>Browser? 

Mario

You can edit any of the standard layouts IMatch ships with.
Just add your custom tags to the MP3 layout. You can use the hasvalue, default etc. functions to check for available data to make your layout flexible.
Like display MP3 data when it exists, else check for WAV data or whatever you plan to use.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook