Propagating differently to a second version

Started by JohnZeman, September 14, 2022, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZeman

Recently I've taken up processing some of my raw masters not only to end up with full color JPG version of the raw master, but also as a second black and white version of the master.

Propagation from the master to both versions works fine.

Here's my question and where I suspect my thinking isn't right.

When propagating to both versions is there a way I can propagate some keywords/categories to the color version and some different keywords/categories to the black and white version?

For example, my raw master has the following @Keyword category/Keywords assignments

Special Processing|Nik Collection Tools|Color Efex Pro
Special Processing|Nik Collection Tools|Silver Efex Pro

When propagating to the 2 versions I'd like to copy just
Special Processing|Nik Collection Tools|Color Efex Pro

To the color version and just
Special Processing|Nik Collection Tools|Silver Efex Pro

To the black and white version.

Is this possible or is my thinking out of whack here?

Remember I won't see all the categories assigned to the version, especially the B&W version until I do a

thrinn

Basically, you could set up two different versioning rules, where the first only grabs the color version and the second only the B&W version. For this to work, your naming scheme must allow to distinguish between the two. This would at least allow to have different "What to propagate" rules for color and B&W versions, respectively.
But there is an obstacle: I don't believe it is possible to propagate only some keywords. You can choose to propagate keywords or not, but not selectively (I think). For regular IMatch categories, on the other hand, this is possible because you can explicitely select which parts of your category tree you want to propagate.

So, unfortunately, I have only half an answer for you.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

JohnZeman

Thanks Thorsten, that's the conclusions I have come to as well.

Currently I'm propagating the same Keywords/@Keyword categories to both the color and B&W versions, then afterwards I've been deleting the Keywords/@Keyword categories that I don't want in each version.

It works, just wondering if I had missed something that could make it more automatic.

Thanks again.

Mario

If you need to propagate different things to different versions, setting up dedicated file version rules is the way to go. It is flexible and works.

Attempting to add more "options" to a version rule in order to propagate different things to different versions based on some "criteria" would

a) make my head explode
b) would cause code rot in no time
c) would probably be useful for maybe 0.01% of the user base

There is a complexity limit, even for IMatch. The key is to keep this flexible, but manageable (for the user and me).
In the (quite rare) situation where a user really must propagate different things to different versions, multiple rules will work just fine.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Well we certainly don't want your head to explode Mario!  One of me in here with the top of his head missing is more than enough.

I appreciate your input too and I think I'll just continue to follow my current workflow which has been working.

Process raw and export as color JPG version.

Process raw again and export as black and white JPG version.

Writeback all metadata then refresh categories and finally remove the Keywords/@Keyword categories I do not wish to have in each version.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Mario

Quote from: JohnZeman on September 15, 2022, 12:00:56 AMWriteback all metadata then refresh categories and finally remove the Keywords/@Keyword categories I do not wish to have in each version.
Maybe use a splasher favorite to un-assign these keywords via @Keywords? Takes only a single click. You can add any number of categories to a splasher favorite and assign/un-assign them all with a single click.

Or maybe setup a special REMOVE_SELECTED top-level keyword which has links to all the keywords you want to remove.
When you create a favorite for this @Keyword, you can remove all linked keywords by shift-clicking the favorite.

Both methods are very convenient but often overlooked.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook