IMatch becomes unusable after trying a filter, help on recovery, problem remains

Started by Damit, November 02, 2022, 10:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damit

Hello,

I was playing with features and was trying out the filter tool.  I filtered for a last name and highlighted all the people in the people panel.  Then everything froze up.  The program began to suck huge amounts of power.  It became unresponsive for over 10 minutes.  I shut it down and restarted it, but the program would freeze again and again, no mater if I gave it up to 15 minutes to recover.

Luckily I did a backup this morning.  However, after using pack and go and recovering the database, the program still locks up and freezes when I go to people view, saying at the bottom left "Loading file containing at least one of the selected persons" or something to that effect. This happens even though I loaded the new database, recovered from the backup, to a different folder than the original database the initially became unstable. So the problem seems to be with the program setting rather than the database. Hopefully I don't have to do something drastic because I do not think I saved my worksapce.  Anyhow, any help in getting this thing stable again would be appreciated.

Mario

Please always include the IMatch log file (see log file) when reporting problems.
At this moment, we don't know which IMatch version you use, if your database has 50,000 or 500,000 files, if you have created 100 or 2000 persons, what IMatch is doing when the problem happens etc. Nothing to work with.

Searching for persons via the filter box at the top of the People View just searches for persons in that list, in memory. This is super fast and takes < 1 second.
I've made some checks in databases with 300 (80,000 faces) and 1000 persons (350,000 faces), searching for persons in the People View (with the filter box at the top of the People View on the left - I assume this is what you mean by Filter Tool).
No problems, no locks, search time < 1 second. Even when I search for single letters like a which finds hundreds of people.

If searching for a person locks up IMatch or IMatch suddenly "sucks up a log of power" this would indicate some kind of infinite loop while searching or something? I don't recall that something like this was ever reported.

What search term do you use?

The People View remembers the search term between sessions, so when you restart and reactivate the People View, the search will start again. This way the user can retain a selection of persons between sessions.

In your case, if the search term or the person properties you have used somehow cause the search function to run into an infinite loop, this explains why reopening the database causes the same problem. This has nothing to do with your database.

If you do daily backups of your system, you can restore the IMWS settings database
"C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config\imws-storage.db"
from your last daily backup. It contains the settings of all apps, including the People View.
Or you ZIP the file and send it to me and I will remove the stored filter setting.

Once this is running again, I would need an export of your persons (via the Export People command in the People View) and the search term you have used. If this apparently unique problem is caused by the data you have entered for persons and/or the search term, I should be able to reproduce it here.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Damit

OK, I have sent the files to you.  I used the search term S**az*r which is my last name.  I then highlighted all the people and that is when my problems began.  Hopefully this will be a relatively easy fix and I can recover my original database.

Damit

I tried to use the file you sent me and IMatch is still unusable.  I sent you another email with some more files and logs.

Mario

As I wrote, no search term was set for the People View, so this was not the problem.
But I noticed very unusual delays and pauses in the log file, usually indicative of a virus checker blocking/scanning IMatch or the database continuously...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook