Not able to add keywords in the Person Editor.

Started by Damit, November 08, 2022, 10:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damit

I am trying to add keywords that propagate with a person in the Person Editor; however, when I add the keyword, the save button does not become active.  In order to make it active I have to make a change in another field, like adding a character to the name. Then after the save button become active, I delete the change I made just to activate the save button (aka, I just delete the character I added) and hit save.  Still, the keyword I added is not associated to photos with the person after the save and if I reopen the person I do not see the keyword listed under "Keywords," even if I check "Add new keywords to the thesaurus."

Does the keyword have to be in the thesaurus for it to be added?

Mario

I open the Person Editor for a person.
I enter a keyword not in the thesaurus and press <Enter>
I click on the Save button.
The keyword is added to all images with that person.

I open the Person Editor for another person.
I enter the name of an existing keyword in the thesaurus and select it from the list.
I click on the Save button.
The keyword is added to all images with that person.

What do you do differently?
How do you open the Person Editor?
Any detail may matter.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

Quote from: Mario on November 09, 2022, 09:00:13 AMI open the Person Editor for a person.
I enter a keyword...and press <Enter>
Pressing Enter is the key...(I recall failing to understand that also, when first using person editor).

Entering some test in the Keywords field does not activate the Save button if nothing else was changed:

...and if something else was changed (so the button is active), clicking Save will not add that Keyword.

The keyword you intend to add must appear as a "button" input field (achieved by pressing Enter) in order for the Save button to become active...(and for that keyword to actually get saved to the Person record).
--Tony

Mario

This is how it works. Just typing some text into the input field does nothing. It there are matches in your thesaurus, you are offered a list of keywords and you have to click to select one.

If you just type text and there is no match because you want to add a keyword not in the thesaurus, you have to press <Enter> to apply the new keyword.

If there are now new "badges" with the keywords, you have not done anything. So, no Save button.
And if there are new badges with keywords, you have added a keyword and the Save button will be enabled.

This behavior is explained in detail (including that you have to press <Enter>) in the corresponding help topic:

Adding Keywords
Adding New Keywords
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Damit

Quote from: Mario on November 09, 2022, 01:28:12 PMThis behavior is explained in detail (including that you have to press <Enter>) in the corresponding help topic:
I don't know how I missed this :-[ . I know I have read those sections but I have read A LOT about IMatch. This program is so dense, but there is a reason behind everything. I have consistently found that things that may not be the most intuitive in this program are made that way for good reason.

Still, my head is spinning and I guess this is proof of it. I am glad to read that I am not the only one who was confused by this. Sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for clarifying. Glad to report I finally ponied up and am a paying member of this community. I already have realized the value of this program and the support that accompanies it! 8) 

Mario

Thanks for your business. Much appreciated

<Return> commits new keywords. Clicking a suggested thesaurus keyword commits that keyword in the Person Editor.
This way you can both invent keywords on-the-fly and pick from thesaurus entries. All in the same control.

IMatch is a complex program, with many features and options. All of them for good reasons.
Sometimes (new) users try too much too fast and get lost a bit. Best to work for a few days with what you already know.
I remember working with Photoshop for the first week, Affinity Designer, Blender. And various developer tools and toolkits. I'm still learning new things about these programs, even after months or years of use.

Most IMatch power users know more about specific features than I do. Like all users I tend to forget details about features I don't use every day. But I can always look at the help system to relearn. Nobody can keep all that in his/her head. At least not me.

The evolution of IMatch is driven by this community and direct user feedback I get.
There is nothing unnecessary in IMatch - otherwise I would remove it. I like to remove stuff, because removing stuff results in less maintenance work for me, faster build times, faster tests, smaller installers...

I try to simplify things all the time. Simpler is better. But it's not easy for a versatile and powerful application like IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Damit

Of course.  You definitely earned it with this awesome program. Once I know a lot more about this program I will write a review, because the capabilities of this program really excite me and I want to make it more popular.

Mario, you have a good sense of humor.  Yeah, I am trying to tackle a lot at one time. But I am just dealing with things as they come up. I hope I am not being to annoying with all the questions. I do try to figure things out. Believe me, I have written double the questions only to erase them after doing further research before posting. Pleas consider, in my defense, that I have spent 4-10 hours on this program everyday for a month, so inevitably you are going to run into things.

I don't expect you to know everything and am grateful for the support you and others in the community give. There is a lot to digest and that is why the first comment I made about this program being valuable was because of the help section.  The wealth of information in it is amazing, especially considering how things link to on another.

I also have already realized that this thing has been honed many times over.  Every time I begin to think "Why is this done this way?' I can usually see the reason after struggling with it for a bit. I love that you are so devoted to continued development. Kudos!