Database Search

Started by pmcabinet, November 09, 2022, 10:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmcabinet

I have recently updated iMatch to v 2021.18.4

I can't be sure there is any connection, but 'Search entire database' now produces 'Empty Result' whatever method or term(s) I use. Searches in the Categories panel say 'No Files'. Searching in the file window also reports 'No Files'.

I have tried several iMatch restarts but the problem persists; could I have changed a setting without realising?

I'm still getting to grips with iMatch so I can't rule that out. Any suggestions?

Mario

It would help to know what your search terms are and, very important, the settings you have made for the File Window search (drop-down menu of the X button):

- your search term
- which tags or tag groups you search
- the options you have enabled, e.g. Advanced Search, Regular Expression, ...

- you have updated to IMatch 2021.18.4 from which IMatch version?

Since there were no changes in the File Window search feature for a couple of versions and no other user reported any problems, we need more info to figure out why it does not work on your system.
Just reporting that something does not work for you does not really help us. Details matter. We don't see what you see, we don't knew the settings you have made, ...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

pmcabinet

Well, I'm a little embarrassed. The update was from a prompt in iMatch, from v 2021.18.2. I made no changes to the settings for File Window search, or anything else come to that. I hardly recall looking at the settings in the x drop-down since first use of the software; 'searching the entire database' (my main use) just worked from the outset, which is what wrong-footed me!

Your prompt caused me to check the options and indeed no selection had been made. So I chose 'Search everywhere in metadata' and of course everything worked after that.

I did consult the help section on searching, but, since I had changed nothing, I had no reason to look further at the options - my mistake! Would the update deselect all the options for search? I didn't include any further detail in my post because I guessed the answer would be simple and indeed you hit on it in the first line of your response.

It seems odd that there should be no default setting for search, or no prompt to choose an option if none is selected?

Anyway, thanks for the answer and apologies for using up your time.

Mario

IMatch updates don't change settings. At least I have no idea how this could happen. Maintaining all settings and user-configurations is important for smooth upgrades.

QuoteIt seems odd that there should be no default setting for search, or no prompt to choose an option if none is selected?

There are default settings for the search which work for most new users.
The defaults search common tags and file name and have more complex options like advanced search, regular expressions etc. off.

I have never anticipated that a user, or an IMatch upgrade, could turn of all search options, basically forcing IMatch to search nowhere. I shall check that and maybe add another prompt to inform the user.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

The only way I could find to make the File Window search bar search in 'nothing' is by

1. Uncheck all search options at the top
2. This automatically enables the "search everywhere..." option
3. Disable the "search everywhere..." option

No IMatch searches in nothing and finds nothing ;)

I think this is pretty rare. Or that installing an IMatch update changes the search settings made by the user.
In case this does happen again, IMatch now displays a warning to the user in that case.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator