Selecting Multiple Images in Film Strip - selecting image in Viewer confusing

Started by stefanjan2, June 28, 2023, 05:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanjan2

First off, really pleased with the new functionality (Multiple images in Film Strip and no delete dialogue when exiting viewer).

I was initially a bit confused when selecting multiple images in the film strip and then clicking an image in the viewer to delete an image. imatch deleted a different image to that selected in the viewer. It took me a while to realise that although a selected image in the viewer had an outline, I had to look at the film strip and use the arrow keys to move through the selection.

This functionality works differently if I control the viewer to display multiple images. In this case I can select images in both the viewer and the film strip.

It would also be great when multiple images selected in the film strip, if it were possible to control click an image in the viewer to remove it from the selection. (Appreciate it is possible to control click in the film strip)

Mario

QuoteI was initially a bit confused when selecting multiple images in the film strip and then clicking an image in the viewer to delete an image. imatch deleted a different image to that selected in the viewer.
If you display multiple images side-by-side, there is always a focused image wit an yellow border. This is similar to File Windows.
Commands like rating, label, reject are applied to the focused file. You move the focus with the cursor keys between the side-by-side files or by clicking the image you want to focus. Nothing has changed with this in the Viewer for a very long time.

QuoteThis functionality works differently if I control the viewer to display multiple images. In this case I can select images in both the viewer and the film strip.
This is the intended behavior. You already deal with two selections at this time.
The selected files in the films strip to control the images to be displayed side-by-side and another selection within the selected files, to indicate the focused file to which to apply commands. You focus an image by clicking it or using the cursor keys.
The Shift key can be used in the film strip to select a range of images.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stefanjan2

Quote from: Mario on June 28, 2023, 05:21:10 PMThis is the intended behavior. You already deal with two selections at this time.
The selected files in the films strip to control the images to be displayed side-by-side and another selection within the selected files, to indicate the focused file to which to apply commands. You focus an image by clicking it or using the cursor keys.
In the attached screen grab, I have selected 4 images in the film strip.

Image 1 has the focus in the film strip
Image 4 has the focus in the viewer (I clicked on image 4 in the viewer)

If I click delete, then image 1 rather than my intended image 4 gets deleted.

Is this intended behaviour?

Mario

I'll move this into bug reports because it seems this is a bug report.
Looks like the sync between the side-by-side view and the thumbnail view is unlinked.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator