File Window Heading Error

Started by sdb, July 25, 2023, 04:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdb

I recently migrated a database to 2023.1.18.  In the category view, @ALL indicates a total of 30805 files, which seems about right.  I know the files take up about 200MB of space.

If I select the @All category, in the top right heading of the file window I see 294,105 (1.85TB). (1.85 TB exceeds the capacity of my hard drive.)

I don't think this is actually causing a problem, but I thought you'd like to know.  I have used database Diagnostics (no errors) and Compact & Optimise database, with no effect.

Mario

The total number of files in the database can be seen in the Info & Activity Panel. in the Properties panel below the Media & Folders tree when you select the Database node and in the Dashboard.

I've made a quick check with some of my databases.

Database A:

2,465 files. Database node and @All show the correct file count. Both show 6GB in total file size.

Database B:

75,901 files.  Database node and @All show the correct file count. Both show 99.81GB in total file size.

Database C:

690,102 files. Database node and @All show the correct file count. Both show 747.54 GB in total file size, across multiple disks.

So, IMatch is consistent and 'sure'.
The total file size is calculated by adding up the file size IMatch stores for each file when it imports the file. The file size used is the file size reported by Windows.

I've made some further checks.

Clicking on a folder in IMatch to see the total file size calculated by IMatch. Opening the same folder in Windows Explorer and via the Properties dialog, checking the file total file size reported for the folder.
The values shown by IMatch and Windows Explorer match.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sdb

Yes, everything seems to match, except the heading in the File Window.

PS I meant to say 200GB, not 200MB, in my first post.
This post was meant to contain small screenshots but they do not appear.  But it is specifically the File Window I am talking about.

Mario

Show us a screen shots

- of the file Window when you select the Database Node in the Media & Folders View,
- the properties panel below the Media & Folders tree when the Database Node is selected
- the @All category
- the Dashboard (Info panel - the Total size row).

Make sure stacked files are not hidden  - File Window toolbar button.

All this should match and the File Window should show the same.

Do you have any folders marked as "off-line" (yellow warning icon) in the Media & Folders panel?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sdb

I am trying to post screenshots by dragging the images into my draft post, but they do not appear in Preview or the submitted post.  Do I need more rights for this?

sdb

Meanwhile:

Quote- the file Window when you select the Database Node in the Media & Folders View,
30,805 (199.17 GB)

Quote- the properties panel below the Media & Folders tree when the Database Node is selected
File Size 1.53 GB
Folders 498
Files 30,805
Categories 343
Total Size 199.17 GB

Quote- the @All category
@All (0/308,05)

Quote- the Dashboard (Info panel - the Total size row).
199.17 GB

QuoteMake sure stacked files are not hidden  - File Window toolbar button.
Tried both ways - makes no difference.  Don't believe I have stacked files

QuoteAll this should match and the File Window should show the same.
See below
QuoteDo you have any folders marked as "off-line" (yellow warning icon) in the Media & Folders panel?
No

BUT File Window when I select @All in the Categories view:
294,105 (1.85 TB)

Mario

Do you show a hierarchy in the Category View (File Window button).
In that case, @All groups files by their respective categories. Files are usually in more than one category. And the File Window header will reflect that, counting files multiple times.

May be called a feature, may be called a bug.
Was never reported before I believe, and this works that way since IMatch 5...
Not many users will ever display @All and also enable the hierarchy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sdb

Ah-ha!  Thats it.  Thanks for the explanation Mario, and sorry for taking your time.

Mario

I have fixed this for the next release.
Now the total size is correctly computed by summing up the size of each unique file shown in the file Window.
It is not usual when working with category hierarchies that the number of items shown in the File Window exceeds the total number of files in the database - because the same file may be assigned to multiple child categories of the currently selected category.
Of course, in this case, the total file size and the selected file size should be computed from each unique file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator