GPX Track Log Import

Started by rolandgifford, July 28, 2023, 08:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandgifford

As GPX timestamps are UTC and we now have UTC times on all images (assuming timezone is correct), is the  timezone offset still required?

Mario

I don't understand.
IMatch does not use GPX timestamps. It uses timestamps as described here: How IMatch uses Date and Time Information
What your camera embeds and what it takes from the integrated GPS may differ.
If your camera has no integrated GPS, what your GPS logs may differ from what your camera logs.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on July 28, 2023, 09:46:22 PMI don't understand.
IMatch does not use GPX timestamps.

IMatch uses the GPX timestamp when matching to an image to see which point on the track matches the image.

According to the track import help, GPX times are in UTC, I have no reason to doubt that.

As IMatch 2023 maintains UTC timestamps against images (as well as local time, timezone, etc) can it not use that UTC timestamp to match to the GPX track removing the need for me to enter an offset when importing (and possibly getting it wrong due to daylight savings or whatever)?

Presumably the current match is to local time.

Mario

IMatch uses the global File.DateTime value (What Is File.DateTime?) when it imports track logs.
This time stamp is calculated from the metadata in the file as described in How IMatch uses Date and Time Information
For example, if the EXIF timestamp is 12:00:00 and the corresponding offset is +02:00, IMatch sets File.DateTime to 10:00:00 and remembers +02:00 for later calculations and for setting the XMP timestamps.

Quoteremoving the need for me to enter an offset when importing (and possibly getting it wrong due to daylight savings or whatever)?

The important XMP time stamps date subject created and create date require a time zone offset. Else they are not well-defined. If IMatch cannot determine a time zone offset from metadata, it sets the time zone automatically, depending on which Mapping Mode) you have configured.

This determined time zone offset is also used to calculate the File.DateTime.Local and File.DateTime.Original values available for File Windows and variables.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Rene Toepfer

I use GPX files very often and it works properly with IM. The local UTC offset is +2 during CEST and +1 while DST. No issues by now, all images will be matched. Are all clocks (camera, mobile, GPS tracker etc.) sync?

To be honest, I do not understand your issue.