Read / write back RW2 files

Started by Germ, August 25, 2023, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Germ

Hi all,

I must be doing something wrong here ;D !
On my system  all of a sudden a change of keywords in iMatch (latest version) leads to a write-back to the RW2 file; NOT to the xmp file that exists next to it.
If I remove such a file from the imatch database the existing keywords in the xmp file are not read.

My file-type parameters for RW2 in the settings are set to "default". I know I could force iMtch to use the xmp through these settings, but i wonder if it is wise to change them.

Can onyone verify that?

Kind regards from Holland
Germ Wind
Regards from Holland

Germ

Mario

Hi, Germ
does the RW2 already have an XMP sidecar file or is this the first time IMatch has to create one for that image?
There was a change to the metadata configuration file in December 2022 that might relate to this. ExifTool changed support for RW2 files and can embed EXIF/IPTC, and maybe the change I did to the configuration file is causing the wrong storage location when no XMP sidecar file exists.

I'm looking at the revisions right now, and intended to only to change the default settings for IPTC/EXIF but it seems I've changed the default for RW2 XMP also to "d" for XMP. Very strange.

This this:

1. Download the attached ZIP file and extract it.
2. Close IMatch.
3. Copy the file ptpiconfig.xml to the folder "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\plugins\", replacing the file in that folder.

Now retry. IMatch should create a XMP sidecar file from scratch when you first write back.

If IMatch has accidentally embedded XMP metadata into the RW2 (not only EXIF, GPS and legacy IPTC), you can remove it with the The ExifTool Command Processor by running the "Delete XMP Metadata" preset.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Germ

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the quick reply.

First your question: the xmp's were already existing next to the RW2's.

I downloaded your ptpiconfig.xml and replaced the existing one. That resided not in "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\plugins\"  but in "C:\Program Filles\photools.com\IMatch6\plugins\" and now it worls as expected again. It reads from the xml again, and when writing back RW2 as well as XMP modified dates are updated.

There was a risk of dataloss before this patch: when writing back an existing RW2 with existing xmp the star rating and keywords were erased on re-reading after write-back.

Many thanks again for the quick fix! Made my day. You're a star!

Kind regards from Holland
Germ Wind
Regards from Holland

Germ

Mario

Good result!
I will ship this updated configuration file with the next IMatch release.
Strange, though. Must have been one of those junior moments for me. I can see the change in December and also my description of why I've changed this. But I only had to change the defaults for EXIF/IPTC and the extra "d" into the XMP section slipped somehow it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Germ

Hi Mario,

We have an expression here:
who works makes mistakes.
who works a lot makes more mistakes.
I know people who do not make any mistakes at all ;D

Thanks again!

Germ
Regards from Holland

Germ

rolandgifford

QuoteThere was a risk of dataloss before this patch: when writing back an existing RW2 with existing xmp the star rating and keywords were erased on re-reading after write-back.

Do we need to do anything to protect against this risk, check whether there has been data loss that we haven't noticed, and other questions of that type?

Germ

You can check the dashboard from time to time.
There are entries for files without rating and files without keywords.

Kind regards from Holland.
Germ
Regards from Holland

Germ