Add Hierarchical Keyword from GPS Location Data?

Started by Jingo, October 24, 2023, 07:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Hi.. I just solved a minor mystery I had in my system.  I have a bunch of photos that have a keyword for the location (Places|Portugal|Sesimbra) but that keyword does not appear in my Keyword Panel.  I couldn't figure out how it got there but then remembered I had build a Metadata Template to add the hierarchical keyword from the Country|City fields... this is great as it saves a step (Places|{File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryName\LocationShownCountryName\0}|{File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCity\LocationShownCity\0})

However, is there any way to also add this keyword into my Keyword Panel so I can use it manually as well as in IMA?  I check automation but there is no current function to build a keyword from XML data.

Am I going about this process wrong?  Thx!

Mario

QuoteHowever, is there any way to also add this keyword into my Keyword Panel so I can use it manually as well as in IMA?  I check automation but there is no current function to build a keyword from XML data.
I don't understand. All keywords assigned to a file will show in the Keywords Panel. Is this not the case?

I guess you want to add the keywords to your thesaurus so you can apply it from the thesaurus panel inside the Keywords Panel or pick it from auto suggest while typing?
In that case, just right-click the keyword and use the "Add to thesaurus" command.

If your looking for an automated way to add manual keywords you type into a location to the thesaurus, sorry. No such feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Thx Mario.. I thought to do that but the "Add to Thesaurus" is low-lit.  Here are the exact steps I'm following:

1 - choose an image that has GPS data (like a phone image) and reverse geocode
2 - confirm Location data exists
3 - Use Favorite set with Metadata Template to build XMP::Lightroom\Hierarchical Subject from Places|{File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCountryName\LocationShownCountryName\0}|{File.MD.XMP::iptcExt\LocationShownCity\LocationShownCity\0}
4 - Confirm keyword is added to the image and appears in Keyword panel and @Keywords

Go to the Event Panel, choose an event and select the image - although the keyword appears in the Keyword panel, Right click has all options except Copy low-lit. 

HOWEVER - If you then try the right-click again, all options are available again.  ODD!

I can make a video if you'd like to show in case it always works for you.

Mario

Then the Keyword Panel "upper window" is not yet focused. This is why the commands are disabled.
Left click first to make it the active window. Then right-click to open the context menu.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Oh... interesting.  Yup.. that must be it.  

I did notice that I could right click a Recent Keyword (or Top 100) and the right click options work ok without having to activate the panel first.. it appears to be an issue only in the "upper window".

Easy enough to click first to activate the panel...

Mario

I cannot reproduce this.
Independent from which panel or View has the focus, when I right-click a keyword in the keyword list at the top, all menu commands are enabled.
I've checked the code and the first thing the "OnRightClick" event handler does is to focus the upper keyword list window, before opening the context menu.

Please provide details and steps to reproduce the behavior you are seeing.
I have not experienced this so far. But when I can reproduce it, I can fix it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

I'll send along a video and log this afternoon.. thx Mario!

Jingo

Hi Mario - I've attached a zip file with a MP4 video that shows the process.

I am starting in Event View and choose a photo that has a keyword which is not in the thesaurus.  I right click the keyword in the "top panel" and do not have access to the full menu.  If I then right click again (as the panel is now active), the full menu is accessible.  If I left click out of the panel and then right click the keyword, the same thing happens.  However, if I choose a different photo and right click a keyword in the Recent List - the right click menu is available.

Hope this helps track down the issue! - Andy.

Mario

I've found a comment in the code: "Must use a timer to avoid focus issues in certain configurations on some computers".
So there was some focus issue and I've used a timer to work-around it (many years ago). Apparently, it does not work everywhere. I'll put it on the list.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Thanks Mario... no rush of course as now that I know, I will work around it easily!  Much appreciated!!