[EXP] Quick Filter - Request for Comment

Started by Mario, December 02, 2023, 05:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

hluxem reported an issue today with the Quick Filter that could both be a bug or a feature...

I'm thinking about adding a switch to the Quick Filter ribbon that toggles if the File Window will reloaded automatically when something changes that may affect the Quick Filter result or not.

For example, the user uses the Quick Filter to show only bookmarked files.
If he removes the bookmark for a file showing, the file is removed from the File Window.
If the user filters for files with a red label and he changes the label of a file from red to blue, the file is removed from view.

I wonder if a switch that causes the Quick Filter not to reload the File Window in this case would be beneficial.
When the switch is on, the File Window reloads automatically.
When the switch is off, it does not and the user has to press <F5> to reload the File Window manually.
Or maybe the Quick Filter shows an extra 'refresh' button when the switch is off.

Comments appreciated.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

QuoteI wonder if a switch that causes the Quick Filter not to reload the File Window in this case would be beneficial.
When the switch is on, the File Window reloads automatically.
When the switch is off, it does not and the user has to press <F5> to reload the File Window manually. Or maybe the Quick Filter shows an extra 'refresh' button when the switch is off.
I think that's the perfect solution. 
In my opinion a switch is beneficial as it avoids the redraw of the file window every time you change a file. 

When I do the same with the filter manager, the file window turns blank first and then the file window is redrawn. Works, but I prefer to do a manual refresh with a button or F5.

I checked how this works when you are in a category view and deselect the category. The file is removed from the window automatically, but it actually takes a little while. 

jch2103

To the extent that users make complicated filter changes, this option could be very useful. 
John

ubacher

QuoteTo the extent that users make complicated filter changes, this option could be very useful. 
Exactly. If the user wants to remove the bookmark AND the red label from the file (using Mario's examples) then
this "hold updates" setting would be essential.
(My way around this is off course to move the files to a result set und make the changes there.)

Darius1968

I can say, from personal experience, this would be very convenient - To be sure, I apply filters to consolidate the file window with files that fit my specific workflow at the given moment.  Obviously, as I work on these files, I will be making changes that invalidate the filters I have originally set.  But, I don't want my file(s) disappearing just yet because even though some of the filter is no longer valid, some of it still is!  This, because I still have changes yet to make on said file(s). 

Mario

This will affect only the QuickFilter, not the Filter Panel.
If you apply filters in the Filter Panel which affect the results of the Filter Panel, select the files first and open them in a Result Window to work on them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I have this implemented for the next release.

There is now a switch that toggles auto-reload.
There is also a reload button (which does the same as <F5>).

In this screen shot, the auto-reload is enabled.
When 'something' changes in the database that might affect the result of the QuickFilter, the File Window reloads automatically.

Image2.jpg

This is how it looks when the auto-reload is off.
The color of the reload button changes from white to green to indicate that what's shown in the File Window is not necessarily matching the QuickFilter anymore. You can click the green reload button or press <F5> to reload the File Window when needed.

Image3.jpg

I think this is fairly intuitive and covers all scenarios.

Via the onboarding feature I will make IMatch show a tip when the user disables the auto-reload for the first time and also when the reload button is triggered due to a change in the database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hluxem

Carlo Didier

Great idea. Ideally, the files still displayed that don't match the filter anymore could be greyed/dimmed?
The fact of not immediately updating allows for quick correction of wrong assignments, as the file is still visible.

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on December 07, 2023, 12:21:27 PMIdeally, the files still displayed that don't match the filter anymore could be greyed/dimmed?
I have pondered this but did not do it.
To implement this feature, the QuickFilter Panel would have to run to figure out which files would remain, then compare the result with the files in the File Window, then somehow mark the files which should not be shown when the QuickFilter would work in the default mode.

Since all this is very tightly integrated and performance critical, doing the extra work and adding even more complexity to the already very complex File Window is not worth it. File Windows must be able to deal with 10,000 or even 100,000 files, even when the QuickFilter is active!

You can always "peek" by toggling the auto reload button in the QuickFilter ribbon.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator