Metadata template assigning a location that does not exist

Started by birdbrain, December 20, 2023, 08:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdbrain

Issue: The built-in metadata template "Assign Location based on GPS data in file" is assigning a location that does not exist in the locations I have defined.

Background:  I have not changed the template; it is "out of the box". I am using the latest version (#2023.4.6).

I have a location called "Paris" and successfully used this metadata template to fill in Location, City, Country, Keywords, etc. for photos that have the "correct" GPS data, i.e., they fall within the radius I defined for "Paris".

Today I ran the template and it assigned everything correctly except location which was assigned "Avenue Gustave Eiffel". I have never defined such a location and the GPS coordinates are not on Avenue Gustave Eiffel.

I also tried it on a photos where Location, City, etc. were already correctly populated and it replaced the location "Paris" with "Avenue Gustave Eiffel".

For photos in other locations, this does not seem to be an issue so far. But I do not feel comfortable using this location assigning feature until this is resolved.

Questions:  Are there other settings, etc. that could somehow introduce a non-existent location? Or perhaps have I misinterpreted what it means to enable "Location" with the option "Automatic - Use existing GPS data in image" in the metadata template?

Enabling the automatic Location mapping in a Metadata Template.

Thank you.

thrinn

"Location" is a term used ambigously unfortunately. If you define a "Location" in the Map Panel, you give it a name. E.g. "Frankfurt, Germany".
But the there is also a tag called "location". If you set in the "Frankfurt, Germany" Location and apply the Location to a photo, the value that is copied from this Location to the location tag of the picture is "Somewhere in the park", not "Frankfurt, Germany".

2023-12-20 21_21_26-Edit Locations.jpg

This said, I wonder if you also have "Automic reverse geocoding" active? (See Preferences > Geo & Maps). Because in this case, possibly the reverse geocoding kicks in after applying you Location and fills the location tag if it returned from the Geocoding service. Not all coordinates return a location, so this might explain why it sometimes works and sometimes not.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

birdbrain

@thrinn

Yes, "location" is used for two different things and can be confusing.

Using your example: I have successfully used this location before and just now confirmed...my "Location" (second one, at the bottom of the screenshot) would be "Frankfurt, Germany" not "Somewhere in the park". So that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Also, my "Automatic reverse geocoding" is set to NO.

So thank you for your response :-) but so far this doesn't answer it. :-(

Joe

Mario

IMatch cannot make up locations or names like "Avenue Gustave Eiffel".

Did you check all locations you have created in the Map Panel?

Image1.jpg

Maybe you have accidentally used the "Create Location Here..." command and forgotten about it? And that location matches the GPS coordinates of the image?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

birdbrain

Quote from: Mario on December 21, 2023, 10:51:23 AMIMatch cannot make up locations or names like "Avenue Gustave Eiffel".
^ Good to know I have not misunderstood how this is supposed to work!

May have found a clue...

Note: As there are two data elements called "Location", I refer to them as [Location 1] and [Location 2].

When I manually change the radius for [Location 1] "Paris", everything is OK. But if I use the map to shrink/expand the radius, it changes to "1 m". This does not happen for any other [Location 1].

I thought this might be the cause. But I manually changed the radius to 30,000m and (again) instead of applying [Location 2] ("Paris, France") to the image it applied "Avenue Gustave Eiffel".

Quote from: Mario on December 21, 2023, 10:51:23 AMDid you check all locations you have created in the Map Panel?

I manually opened a few recently created [Location 1]s to look for a [Location 2] with "Avenue Gustave Eiffel" but have not found anything. I temporarily moved the [Location 1] "Paris" on the map to see if there was a location hidden beneath it.

Is there a way to get a list or search the location data so I don't overlook something? Or can this only be done opening locations one-by-one?

Also I will next try deleting the location altogether and re-creating it and report back.

birdbrain

A follow-up question...

It seems to me, the only way for data to get into the [Location 2] field is for it to be manually entered or to use the associated drop-down which is also manually created.

Or can this field somehow be generated by IMatch?

The point is: I am certain that I never entered a [Location 2] with the value "Avenue Gustave Eiffel".

thrinn

Quote from: birdbrain on December 21, 2023, 03:17:21 PMIs there a way to get a list or search the location data so I don't overlook something? Or can this only be done opening locations one-by-one?
You can use the App "IMWS DevDocs" (available from the App Manager). Enter "geolocation" in the search field and click on the link provided as example. This will open the list of Locations (in JSON format) in a rudimentary text windows. Select all, copy and paste into some editor of your choice. Look for the "location" property in each IMatch Location.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

birdbrain

A bit techy but it helped! :)   And I never would have found this by looking one-by-one...

Location "Paris" has both "addressCreated" and "addressDest" which has the culprit "Avenue Gustave Eiffel". (see below). Fortunately all other locations only have "addressCreated".

I have no idea how "addressDest" was created. It does not appear on the window to edit locations. I certainly never entered it; also I never enter zip codes for locations.

Regardless...

Is there is a way to remove "addressDest" or take some other action? Again, this is not visible / available in the window to edit locations.

Perhaps best to just delete and re-create the location?

Thank you!

Joe

------------

"addressCreated":{
"countryCode":"",
"country":"France",
"state":"Ile-de-France",
"city":"Paris",
"zip":"",
"location":"Paris, FR"
},
"addressDest":{
"countryCode":"FRA",
"country":"France",
"state":"Île-de-France",
"city":"Paris",
"zip":"75007",
"location":"Avenue Gustave Eiffel "
},

Mario

Is this an old location? Maybe it failed to migrate at some point?
Re-create it in the Map Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook