IM 2023.6.6 Viewer/Annotation panel tooltip off

Started by Bolitho, January 22, 2024, 10:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolitho

Mario

More details please.
Screen setup? Multiple monitors?
Windows version?
Screen scaling settings (DPI). text scaling settings?
Which IMatch version do you use?

The general rule for writing a bug report is to provide as much information as possible. Because that helps a lot.

This is what I see here (4K monitor and 3K monitor):

Image1.jpg
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Bolitho

See there:

Tool tips showing in the wrong monitor

It has either not been fixed or introduced with the version mentioned in the header.

Mario

If the changes I've made for 2023.6.6 don't work on your PC (and apparently (?) on your PC only, since there are no other reports), then that's it. I've exhausted all options, spent several days and releases going back and forth.
Could be a problem with your graphic driver, Windows installation or something else.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Bolitho

Further details:

The tooltips are off when the viewer is opened directly in Full-Screen mode from the File window.
After changing the viewing mode (from within the viewer) the tooltips are displayed as expected - even if you switch back to full screen.

However, if you close the viewer and then open it again (directly in full-screen mode) they are off again.

Mario

I could not reproduce this using screen resolutions between 1920px and 4K and scales between 100% and 300%.

There are no reports about similar problems from other users, so this might be something unique.
Could be a Windows 10 thing. Or maybe a graphic driver thing.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

David_H

Quote from: Mario on January 24, 2024, 09:45:25 AMI could not reproduce this using screen resolutions between 1920px and 4K and scales between 100% and 300%.

There are no reports about similar problems from other users, so this might be something unique.
Could be a Windows 10 thing. Or maybe a graphic driver thing.

I can duplicate it; for me at least the viewer has to be on a different screen from the main IMatch window.
If the viewer is on the same screen as the main IMatch window, it brings the main window to the front instead of showing a tooltip.
Scaling (for 3 screens) is 125%/125%/100%. Windows 11.

Mario

Quoteit brings the main window to the front instead of showing a tooltip.
This has been reported and fixed for the next release.

Are you using IMatch 2023.6.6?
The screen shot is from which of your monitors? Resolution and scaling?
I can't repro this. Neither on my two main monitors nor on my laptop nor on monitors connected to my laptop nor in a fresh W11 VM.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

David_H

Quote from: Mario on January 24, 2024, 01:14:43 PM
Quoteit brings the main window to the front instead of showing a tooltip.
This has been reported and fixed for the next release.

Are you using IMatch 2023.6.6?
The screen shot is from which of your monitors? Resolution and scaling?
I can't repro this. Neither on my two main monitors nor on my laptop nor on monitors connected to my laptop nor in a fresh W11 VM.

Hi Mario,

Yes; 2023.6.6.
Monitors are 3,1 (main display),2; scaling is 125%, 125%, 100%, resolutions are all 2560x1440. Viewer opened as fullscreen (screen 1).

IMatch normally lives on screen 3; viewer (and other popped out panels) on screen 1. Screen 2 isn't often used.

Also, when hovering over a tooltip on the viewer it brings the IMatch window to the front on the other screen (so as I'm typing this, if I go hover over the toolbar, it'll hide my browser window which is also on screen 3).

Interestingly, this does not happen for the tooltips in the panel - they will appear in the right place once, then offset elsewhere (but doesn't bring the main IMatch window to the front).

If the viewer is opened as a window, I cannot get the panel tooltips to misbehave, but the toolbar tooltips are still wrong (and brings the main window to the front).

If scaling on screen 2 is set to 125%, tooltips all appear in the right place, but the toolbar still brings the main imatch window to the front, even if nothing is on that screen (still on 1 and 3).

hope some of that helps!

Mario

As I said, the issue with the main window covering the Viewer when a tooltip shows in the Viewer has been resolved for the next release already.

The tooltip you show is not for a ribbon but for the annotation gallery. Nothing has changed for years in this panel and the tooltip is managed by the 3rd party user interface toolkit I use. Ribbons use "my" tooltips, and I would rather expect a problem there, not in the UI toolkit I have no control over.

Do you see wrongly positioned tooltips for ribbons in the Viewer too? For example in the Annotation panel or the Category Panel?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

David_H

Quote from: Mario on January 24, 2024, 02:41:27 PMDo you see wrongly positioned tooltips for ribbons in the Viewer too? For example in the Annotation panel or the Category Panel?

Yes; these misbehave also (eg category panel) in the viewer.

Weird behavior. If the viewer is opened fullscreen (and tooltips in the wrong place) then the normal Category panel opened (in my case on the same screen as the viewer), then the tooltips for the viewers category panel and favourites panel behave. The annotations panel is still wrong.
Close the standalone category panel and the tooltips in the viewers category/favourites panels go wrong again.

Mario

This indicates a similar problem with automatic Windows DPI scaling I've explained in the other long thread from a few weeks ago. I considered all this settled and working. I could reproduce the problem at the time by playing with different screen resolutions and DPI settings, but not anymore.

Apparently, Windows here scales screen coordinates it gives to IMatch using the DPI of the main monitor and not the DPI on the monitor containing the window (the tooltip in this case) and IMatch has no way to tell.

It asks where the cursor is, determines the element on the ribbon under the cursor (which appears to work fine always) then opens the tooltip window with the window rectangle's left/upper corner positioned at the mouse cursor.
For that it uses the Windows function MoveWindow.
But MoveWindow moves the window to the wrong spot, applying the main monitor DPI (?). Impossible for IMatch to know or compensate for.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator