[EXP] New IMatch Menus

Started by Mario, February 07, 2024, 04:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

When experimental mode is enabled, IMatch no longer uses the "custom" menus provided by the 3rd party user interface toolkit it includes, but instead uses standard Windows menus.
This improves compatibility with future Windows versions, inclusion of assistive technologies etc.

In the current version of IMatch (2023.7.2), I've managed to display label colors in these menus, which is an important visual aid. But, for unknown reasons, enabling Windows menus to display icons causes Windows to ignore the menu theme the user has selected!?

Even if you have configured your Windows theme to use "dark mode" with dark menus, the menus in IMatch which display icons (currently only the File Window context menu) are always white. And all other menus in IMatch display in the selected Windows theme. There seems to be no solution for this behavior. It's a Windows thing...

I found that rather unsatisfactory, but I did not want to delay the release of the 2023.7.2 because of that and so I shipped the new version yesterday.

Yesterday I've continued my work on pure "owner-drawn" menus, which allows me to display menus in any color and with icons and check marks and whatnot. I've had to overcome a lot of the typical Windows issues to make it work, but now I'm quite happy.

This is how my own implementation of menus look (with color labels):

Image1.jpg

and this when I include some icons:

Image3.jpg

I don't currently plan to use icons in menus, except where absolutely necessary, like in the case of color labels.

The new menus (and ribbons) match the general IMatch color scheme a lot better than the old toolbars and menus. And I control the source code and can make them do whatever I need.

Questions for You

Do you like the new menu styles and colors?
Should IMatch stick to the dark menus or apply the color theme (white / dark) configured by the user for the rest of Windows?

Let me know that you think.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mopperle

Stupid question, how do I get the dark mode, only seing this (2023.7.2 experimental enabled)

Mario

Quote from: mopperle on February 07, 2024, 07:37:54 PMStupid question, how do I get the dark mode, only seing this (2023.7.2 experimental enabled)
That's what I mentioned in my post. Yesterdays IMatch release shipped with normal menus enhanced by label colors. Windows will only render them in white. Which is why I bit the bullet and decided to go full custom-draw.

The new menus will become available in the next release. I've got them running now. Now follows testing and fine-tuning and then I'll include them in the next IMatch update for all users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

Quote from: Mario on February 07, 2024, 04:35:32 PMDo you like the new menu styles and colors?
Should IMatch stick to the dark menus or apply the color theme (white / dark) configured by the user for the rest of Windows?
I would vote for IMatch keeping the dark menus when this feature is released...(it seems to fit better with the rest of IMatch)
--Tony

mopperle

Mario

Quote from: mopperle on February 07, 2024, 08:48:06 PM+1
Much appreciated :)
Note that you can click the "Like" link on the original post to show that you like it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

I would think the user should be able to choose between matching the Windows theme (to have the same theme applied to all applications for consistency; this should be the default behavior for any Windows application) or choose an iMatch specific theme.

mastodon

I like the style, much better, than the "old" one. Colors are not so important, so anyway will do it. Icons in menu item are overhelming, so that is on the right way, too.