Database Errors - via KVM - for the record

Started by OffPeak, June 03, 2024, 01:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffPeak

I'm setting up a new computer, and moving from Windows 10 to 11.  I'm still running the old computer, so wanted to share Keyboard, Video, and Mouse via a (cheap, generic, Chinese) HDMI KVM switch.  (See Photo.)

I updated to the latest version of IMatch, copied the folders containing all photos from old to new computer via a memory stick loaded in the old, and uploaded to the new.

The KVM also has four USB ports that can be used to share devices between the two switched computers (keyboard, mouse, memory stick, hard drive, etc.).  I plugged another memory stick into one of the shared KVM USB ports, and downloaded the database file from the old; switched to the new, and uploaded the file to the new.

I installed the latest version of IMatch on the new machine, opened the program with the new database file, relocated the folders with photos, and ran Database Diagnosis.  The DD reported a corrupted database, listing two errors.  I ran DD again, with the same results.  I deleted the new database file, and re-copied using the same procedure, with the same results.  It finally dawned on me that the KVM might be causing the problem.  I down- and uploaded the database file again using a memory stick directly in the old and new machines; this worked fine.

So, the lesson here is, a KVM with shared ports CAN induce errors in transferred data !

I hope this is valuable to someone in the future.

(I also transferred a smaller database file via the KVM, and that worked fine....)

hro

Why don't you just remote desktop from one computer to the other, thus avoiding a KVM solution altogether? I assume you have both machines on your local network. 

Mario

To mange things in the way that can go wrong, I guess Then Murphy's Law becomes a thing.
If a file becomes corrupted during transfer, all signals should go to red.
Often small files work but larger files (like an IMatch database) become corrupted because the entire system is not stable (network stack, drivers, ...).

If the database system in IMatch reports a physically damaged database file during diagnosis, the database is no longer usable.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

OffPeak

Quote from: hro on June 03, 2024, 08:15:25 AMWhy don't you just remote desktop from one computer to the other, thus avoiding a KVM solution altogether? I assume you have both machines on your local network.
The old (Windows 10) computer will become my off-line machine, and I'm trying to minimize any connections to it.  The old-old Windows 7 machine is my current off-line machine (is getting slower with more data), and will be retired.

Jingo

KVM brings back some memories ... not all good!

I bought a very high-end KVM that allowed me to connect 2 complete systems together (one MAC / one Windows) when I was running and using both systems for client work... the KVM allowed you to share 3 monitors/keyboard/mouse and peripherals with instant transfer between systems.. when it worked, it was amazing - transferring files between the MAC/Windows was seamless and I could even split the monitors so 2 for windows and one for MAC with the ability to drag/drop between the two.

However, when it didn't work.. it was a nightmare!  In the end, I just bought a separate mouse/keyboard and monitor for the MAC system and called it a day... expensive KVM is now sitting in a box in the basement... sigh!