Searching in the Map Panel does not work

Started by frankdarwin, July 01, 2024, 12:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

Hello,
After updating to version 2023.12.2, the search in the map window no longer works.
When I enter a location in the "Searching in the Map" panel, there is no search for the coordinates. No hits are displayed for the selection.
I use Google Maps.
The internet connection is OK.
Photos that already have GPS coordinates are displayed correctly when I click on the "Globe".

Frank

Mario

Works here. I search with Google for Paris and Toronto and get:

Image6.jpg Image7.jpg

When you open the Output panel for Apps (View menu > Panels) before you search, do you see any errors or warning logged? Any warnings in the IMatch log file? API key still valid?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Typically this happens as Mario mentions when the API key becomes invalid.. happened to me with HERE a couple weeks back. If using Google, be sure your credit card on file is also up to date.. this too happened to me a few weeks back and I needed to change it in the (poorly designed) dashboard.

Mario

This was my guess, too.
But usually the Google Map then shows "For development purposes only" and Google also sends an email about the temporarily disabled account.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on July 01, 2024, 03:42:50 PMThis was my guess, too.
But usually the Google Map then shows "For development purposes only" and Google also sends an email about the temporarily disabled account.
For my recent issue - I had HERE setup for the location search and hadn't used it in so long, that the API key was expired/incorrect. After getting a new key, the location lookup worked just fine again.

Mario

When I win the lottery (not playing) or sell a million of IMatch licenses (not happening) I will integrate all this into IMatch and pay for it (so users don't have to bother with all the license keys) :)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frankdarwin

Quote from: Mario on July 01, 2024, 01:17:03 PMWorks here. I search with Google for Paris and Toronto and get:
Image6.jpg Image7.jpg
When you open the Output panel for Apps (View menu > Panels) before you search, do you see any errors or warning logged? Any warnings in the IMatch log file? API key still valid?
Hello Mario,
The Output Panel shows messages, but I cannot interpret them (see attachment).
The log file contains warnings, but I cannot interpret them either (see attachment).
I do not know if the API key is still valid. I assume it is. Why should it be invalid?

Frank

frankdarwin

I forgot the attachments. Here they are.

Frank

Mario

Th warning is normal. Google is just informing that some of the functions IMatch uses in the Map Panel are discontinued and will stop working at some point in the future. I have to always keep working on Google Maps and the other Map implementations to keep them working and to incorporate changes.

The log file shows a normal IMatch start, nothing else. It seems that this is not from a session where you have used the Map Panel or there are no warnings logged. The only warning in this log is about a missing spell checker dictionary. This disables spell checking everywhere in IMatch. See The IMatch Spell Checker for more info.

Did you check your API key and ensured that it is valid?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frankdarwin

Hello,
after a few nights of trying and searching for a solution, I have found the answer!
I don't know why yet, but the problem seems to have been with the google maps api key.
I created a new api key, entered it in IM, and everything works again.
Now I'm noticing something that I can't yet explain.
When I click on "Find Location" in the map, the search window appears. In this window (see attachment) there is a line that says "Hamburg". I had entered "Hamburg" several times as a search criterion during the troubleshooting.
If I delete "Hamburg", close the window and restart IM, I still find "Hamburg" in the search window.
How do I get rid of this?

Frank

Mario

Probably your credit card was expired and you did not receive the notice from Google.

Delete the hamburg entry to see the purpose of this input field. Also, the tooltip of the button at the end gives a hint as 
well as the corresponding section in the IMatch help: Searching Coordinates
You probably have typed into the wrong input field at some time. IMatch remembers your last inputs.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frankdarwin